Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Maurice was startled, while Caroline immediately recognized it as the voice of Phyllis.

“That’s the older sister of my new human,” she said in irritation. “She’s the reason I turned invisible, this time.”

“With a voice like that, no wonder,” said Maurice, “Normally I don’t hear things from other’s physical realities, unless I’m in close communication with them, and even then, I have to concentrate. This is amazing, but hardly pleasant.”

Reluctantly, they concentrated on the voice, tho they had no real choice, since it was so overwhelming.

“...I don’t care what you say, you’ve got to get rid of that cat! It’s vicious. You saw how it attacked me! That scratch will probably cause an infection. Who knows where that creature has been!”

Back in physical reality, in Janet’s apartment, the voice was even louder.

At first, Janet had cowered as usual, as she always had, when her sister got into one of her rages. She’d learned while growing up with a bossy (and often mean) older sister, that it was best to just react as little as possible, and get away from her, as soon as she could.

But in the 4 years since Janet had moved away from home (and intentionally across the country to make visiting an effort), she had established a lifestyle independent of her family, and especially independent of Phyllis. When Phyllis had arrived, Janet had initially slipped back into the old habit of just submitting to Phyllis’ dominance.

But something had been building up during the past four years. A sense of independence and confidence that now seemed threatened. The dread and fear of returning to her old, dominated emotional state was at least momentarily stronger than any habitual dominance that Phyllis had held over her.

Janet took a breath and calmly, but firmly said, “Get out. I’m not up to dealing with someone like you, right now.”