Chapter Five

Chapter Five

“That cat scratched me!” yelled Phyllis. “Where did she go?”

Sure enough, the top of the bookshelf appeared empty to Janet and Phyllis.

“That cat must have jumped away and hid, after scratching me.” said Phyllis. “Why would you intentionally keep a creature like that in your apartment?”

Knowing nothing that she said would matter, Janet just shook her head, as they headed towards the bathroom to take care of Phyllis’s scratched hand.

Meanwhile, Caroline had been sitting on the bookshelf all along, invisible. At first, she had been consumed with irritation at Phyllis, who had dared to invade her spot on the bookshelf, as well as disrupting the pleasant atmosphere that had been developing between her and Janet. But then, her awareness of being invisible became more important.

It was kind of like when she dreamed, but was aware that she was dreaming. What was different, was that there was no sense of reality being changeable, or that she could wake up at any time.

The reality of Janet’s apartment was still there. Caroline was still on top of the bookshelf. The air seemed thicker, almost liquid, flowing in currents, like when sunlight reveals dust particles floating in the air. But this was everywhere she looked. And objects had a slight glow about them. Sounds were deeper, and there were slight, additional sounds that normally weren’t noticeable.

All this in itself could be quite pleasant, but there was also a sense of the presence of “others”, and the fact that Caroline was able to perceive this invisible reality, seemed to make her own presence noticeable to others.

Sure enough, she then heard a voice that said, “Welcome back, Caroline...”