Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Later that afternoon, Janet’s doorbell rang abruptly. Both Janet and Caroline were startled, even tho they knew it had to be Phyllis.

Janet swallowed, and opened the door. She started to say something pleasant, but was cut off as Phyllis barged in, saying, “Let me see this new apartment of yours. Is this neighborhood safe? The building looks kind of old from the outside. I bet the plumbing and electricity will cause you problems.”

Janet didn’t bother trying to interrupt her older sister, but just made a gesture towards the couch, indicating that she might want to sit down.

“Isn’t that Aunt Liz’s old couch? I never really liked her. She was always giving her opinion on things, never stopped talking, and she was always telling everyone what to...” She stopped abruptly when she looked above the couch and saw Caroline. “Oh my god, don’t tell me you got a cat, and you actually let it inside!” Phyllis then started to reach towards Caroline, as if to push her off the bookshelf, saying “Shoo!”

Nothing irritated or alarmed Caroline more than to have something approach her quickly. She instinctively hissed, exposed her claws, reached out and scratched Phyllis’s hand, who shrieked in surprise. Then a familiar feeling came over Caroline, and she knew she was turning invisible.