two

0.2

 -

The afternoon sun beamed through the sheer curtains that covered the small windows that faced a small park. Lily opened her eyes knowing exactly what the time was, 12:20pm, the same time she woke up everyday. She shifted onto her side to see Cooper still curled up in a tight ball on the pillow next to her. Lily let out a soft groan knowing that she needed to go out grocery shopping at sometime today and seeing as it’s Sunday the one down the street closes at 5. In one swift movement she pushed herself to get out of bed and shower, as much as she really didn’t want too, Cooper following at her feet, this cat liked water a little too much.

Within 20 minutes Lily was dressed and walking down the street, she didn’t eat lunch as when she looked in the mirror today all she saw was fat. Even though she was small framed, she felt like her thighs and stomach were too big for her build, that’s also where a lot of the scars were, a place no one saw. The depression and anxiety all started back in the start of middle school, there was no real thing that triggered her downward spiral, just the mixture of stress and low self-esteem, the self-harm was just a side effect.

Lily kept her head down as she avoided the occasional person that would walk past her on the sidewalk, she just wanted to be in and out in under half an hour, today was one of her bad days so she wanted 0 social interaction whatsoever.

She made her way through the isles with one of the plastic baskets firmly grasped in her hand along with a clump of fabric from her sweater sleeve. Sweater paws were her safety blanket.

She carefully picked up the meal bases off the shelf and examined the nutritional information on the back, she always looked for the healthiest option so that when she did actually eat, she would be able to get some nutrients to keep her physically healthy.

“Lily?” she heard the voice but decided to ignore it, even if they were talking to her, she wasn’t in the mood to talk and she always liked the idea of ‘if you ignore it, it’ll go away’. The person calling her huffed before walking up to her and tapping her on the shoulder, causing Lily to almost jump out of her skin,

“Ashton?” her answer was slow, as she had to remind herself of this guy’s name

“Didn’t you hear me call you?” he chuckled and stood next to her, looking at the products she had,

“No” she felt herself blush a little, he was cuter in the daylight, a lot cuter. “What are you doing here?” the hotel he was staying at was a few streets down, the only reason he was here last night was because he went for a walk and got lost.

“During my walk last night I saw this interesting little store and thought I’d check it out” Ashton seemed to be happy and smiling all the time, something Lily could achieve.

“Okay” she mumbled and started walking away from him, she was done talking and wanted to get home

“Where are you going?” he practically whined, Lily was confused to why he was so chatty with her, she was just a mentally ill young adult. She gulped and gripped the basket tighter,

“Wait up!” he followed after her as she weaved from isle to isle

“Just leave me alone,” she spoke up, stopping in her tracks, “Please”

“What if I don’t want to?” she turned to face Ashton who looked confused and a little upset,

“But I want you to”

“Can I take you out on a date?” he blurted, it looked like a weight was lifted off his shoulders but Lily took it as a joke and began to walk away.