Paradigm Shift

This is just a lot of build-up for something pretty lame. Like a reimagine.

--

When she had received the call, it was as though time stood still.

The case that was in her hands was no longer of importance to her, just the words coming from Justin's mouth were. Three words that brought her out of a stupor she had been in for months, covering up with an almost impenetrable exterior.

He was alive.

Rather, awake.

Lucy had stayed by the Mystery Room, solving cases as time went by, but it wasn't the same without Al by her side. His little anecdotes, the things he said, and how he would constantly piss her off- it was an old feeling that she missed. He was all bark and no bite, which only really amused her than offended her. She was sure she even had gotten through to him, to make him...a little kinder, dare she say. Nonetheless, to hear that he had awaken, her heart beat faster than any case had ever made her feel. She rushed her way over, possibly breaking several different speed limits, but she reached to the hospital in a nick of time.

"Alfendi Layton, where is he?" She slammed onto the desk of the lovely woman who looked him up with ease.

"Room 403." A short nod of acknowledgement, then Lucy zipped up through the stairs and up to the floor rather than waiting for a lift. Rushing through different nurses and doctors, she made her way to 403 where Justin was with Al. Seeing her, he motioned for her to come but bit his lip, as though he worried for her reaction.

All of the adrenaline that had coursed through her veins was now still. She slowly made her way to the bed, finding herself staring at someone she wasn't even sure was the man she recalled before his coma. His hair was free from it's typical low ponytail, hair that seemed to lighten in a strange manner that she was sure was more than just the light playing with her. He had a smile that wasn't menacing, but rather kind and content. His eyes had a sense of softness to them that weren't as darting as they were before. Even the way he just looked at her, it was completely different. Almost, dare she say, it was sweeter.

"Hey, Luce. He just woke up." Justin greeted, "Al, you remember Lucy Baker, right?" Al's brows furrowed in confusion, the cogs in his mind working before he made a final realization.

"Err...no. I don't believe we've been acquainted. Do I know you? Justin told me that I may forget some people." Her mouth opened, then closed as she didn't really have anything to say. He didn't remember her. He didn't remember her. It took her a moment for her mind to send signals to her body to start working again.

"Oh. Really? Aye...Well, I'm...Lucy. It's nice to meet you." Justin held onto her hand as she did all she could to prevent from crying as she extended her other hand for Alfendi to shake. The man she once worked with, completely forgetting her. He took her hand with a smile.

"Alfendi Layton. Pleased to make your acquaintance, Lucy. I hope we can work together, even though my memories may be shot out." He smiled at her with cheer. Lucy glanced to Justin, who looked remorseful in response. By all means, she should be happy that she hadn't lost him in life, but by his reaction, it all felt the same.

Pleased to make...your acquaintance, she thought.

---

When he got discharged from the hospital, she, along with Justin, had to explain that she was his assistant, which was a much better response than 'intern,' which was his original assumption. She avoided any topics that would result in too much thinking on his part and just tried to laugh it all away, as if it didn't hurt to see the man she once knew become a whole different one. After a couple of hours of conversation, she realized that he wasn't the man she remembered, the man she had grown to be used to.