Best Friends.... or more

Chapter 2:

Days past by and Lincoln and I got closer and closer. He was so enthusiastic, and he could always get me smiling. I started to call him Link, because it was shorter and easier to say; I had a small speech impediment as a child.

Before we knew it, it was the last day of the Kindergarten school year. "I hope we get the same teacher next year." Link said with a sigh. "I'm sure we will! And if we don't, we can always meet at the playground. And after school we can play at the park!" I said trying to show him that if we didn't get the same class, it wasn't the end of the world.

Truthfully, it did kind of seem like the end of the world, at least for me. I had started to like Link. And I mean like like Link. The kind of like where you can't stop staring when he smiled, you couldn't remember anything but what he had said that day, and you couldn't get over how beautifully (for a kindergartener) he sang as he showed you new songs he had learned from his programs he watched almost daily. But I was 5, and I thought it couldn't get any better than it already was. I was sorely mistaken.

"Hey, are you gonna go to the pool this summer?" Link asked, interrupting my daydreaming of him. "What? Oh, yeah, my mom will drop me off every day before she goes to work. Are you going?" I asked back. "Definitely! Now that I know you'll be there." he said with the slightest smile at the end of his sentence. He waved good-bye as his mom pulled up. "Because I'LL be there?" I asked myself under my breath. Butterflies filled up inside of me and I wanted jump up and fly on the clouds. I waited until I couldn't see his mom's car, then I jumped in the air and yelled,"He LIKES me!!!" I kept jumping with excitement until my mom pulled up. "This summer is going to be great!" I said with a smile from ear to ear.