The Roof

Chapter 26:

I smiled, so happy that our night didn't have to end too soon.

I opened my window, and whisper-shouted to Link, "What are you doing here?"

"I didn't want the night to end, so I decided it's not going to, at least, not yet." he whisper-shouted back.

I giggled a little. I pushed the window screen off of my window hole quietly, and hopped out, landing on the roof of my back porch. I watched as Link climbed a tree that was beside my house, jumping from the top branch to the roof.

He sat down next to me, wrapping his arm around me. "It's kind of cold out." I said to him, leaning my head on his shoulder. He took off his jacket and wrapped it around me.

"You look so beautiful in the moonlight, Kami May." He said to me, kissing my forehead.

I giggled. "Thank you, but no I don't." I replied, sighing at the truth.

"Kamille, your eyes are like the ocean, and I'm lost out at sea. Every time you smile, I think the sun is just coming out from behind the clouds." he said with a big grin.

"Are you getting those cheesy pick-up lines from that magazine your mom gets every month?" I said with a laugh.

"No! I came up with those cheesy pick-up lines myself, thank you very much." he replied, him laughing now, too.

We stared out into the night, listening to the wind whistle through the trees. A few birds flew by, but mostly the night was quiet.

"What's going to happen, you know, at school?" I asked Link, turning towards him. He face was flawless, his jaw line sharp and his lips, so, perfect.

"Honestly, I don't know. I don't think that we should tell people that we're together." he said, staring into my eyes.

"Why?" I questioned, wondering if it was an ego thing or if he really thought it was for the best.

"Because, people might try to pressure us into doing something we don't want to do. You know? People can drive us insane, to the point where we break up or do something stupid." he replied, turning back towards the sky.

I understood what he meant. I didn't want to push it too far, so I just dropped it. "So, maybe we should see other people."

"Kami May, what're you saying?" he asked, shocked at what I had suggested.

"Not really. I mean, if people think that we're going with other people, then they won't suspect that we're together." I explained.

"But I don't want to have to kiss and pretend to like other girls. And I don't want to see my girl with other guys." I smiled at what he had said.

"It'll be fine. I promise." I assured him, giving him a light kiss before leaning my head on his shoulder again.

"I love you, Kami May." he said, pulling me in for a kiss again. This time a long, very powerful kiss, at least for me. I finally pulled away to get a breath. "I love you, too. It's getting pretty late, I better go inside. I need some sleep." I said standing up, moving towards my window.

"Until tomorrow, Mr. Neal." I said with a quick smile.

"Good night." he replied, before jumping into the old oak tree. He climbed down, and jumped down to the ground. I climbed back into my room, pulling the window screen back onto my window. Before closing my window, I looked at Link, who, before running home, looked back at me, and blew me a kiss. Before waiting for a response, he was gone down the street, running to his home, where he'd sneak in.

As I spun around, my thoughts as scattered in my brain as much as the stars were in the sky, I realized that I was wearing Link's jacket still. 'Oh well' I thought to myself, knowing that I'd be able to feel like he's with me wherever I went now.

I never forgot that night.