Chapter 2 | When Hell Breaks Loose

It had been three days since the Trial by Tale. Three days since the School Master returned. Those who weren't participants in the Trial began the new evil classes, Princes that were kicked out of their castles were begged to go back and protect their kingdoms from the rising number of evil attackers and all students were in one castle. All classes were over crowded with both Evers and Nevers all forced to learn evil and if you even put one toe out of line punishment would be served. Both students and teachers alike felt trapped and scared, though none would ever admit it. 

Hester laid on her bed trying to ignore the pain from her wound it was healing slowly and no amount of medicines, herbs, creams or spells was making the pain go away. She had been excused from her classes, but was still given homework to complete. But her homework remained untouched. The once fearless witch, who could do anything, was in too much pain to do even the simplest of tasks. She felt paralysed and weak. To fill the empty time she would spend hours pondering the events of the trial. She would fantasise killing Aric in as many ways as she could. She would replay every event leading up to her defeat. Her thoughts were only about the Trial, but no matter how hard she thought, one question still plagued her; How could her flag that was shoved done to the bottom of her boot have fallen out? She didn't want to repeat the same mistake as last time, so she made sure that it was down at her toe. She never was able to work out what had happened, how she just barely escaped death.

Anadil and Dot on the other hand decided to stay out of their room, they already have enough to deal with when it came to Hester normally, but an injured Hester would be the death of them. They decided to go to the library since they get the week off as a way of "recovering" from the Trial. The two witches were able to get their homework done there and avoid other students as an added bonus. Today they had finished all their work and were reading any random book they could 

 "I hate when Hester is sick," Dot blurts out suddenly, breaking the silence, "I mean she acts like she doesn't need help or that  she's perfectly fine, and then she moans and groans and complains about it, but if we try to help her she tries to kill us!"
Dot and Anadil had dealt with a sick Hester before. It was after a spell had failed in the first Trial by Tale, only after endless begging from Anadil had Hester agreed to let them help her.
       "Yeah, I'd much rather be in a room with 50 Ever girls than have to be stuck permanently with her when she's sick."  The moment it came out of Anadil's mouth she knew she was lying. She cares about Hester more than any Never should care for someone, and it disgusted her. Hester was her first ever friend, she made her feel safe and happy and more comfortable within herself. Hester was always there for Anadil, so helping her when she was sick was the least she could do.

    "But there is one thing I'm confused about," Say Dot, bringing Anadil out of daze, "We know Hester well enough to know that she would never drop her own flag, she would rather die, than give up and anyone who tried to stop her would certainly be decapitated. So who or what dropped her flag ?" 

  "Must've just been loose," Anadil said hesitantly, hoping it would be a good cover up. "Like last time"   

"You and I know better than anyone, that Hester never makes the same mistake twice." 

"Look, just let it go. Hester is safe now and thats all that matters," Anadil snapped. Dot peered at the albino as if she was staring into her soul. Anadil looked away feeling uncomfortable. There was an awkward silence, but it was broken by a loud gasp.

"Anadil how could you!" Dot yelled a bit too loudly.  

"She was going to be killed I had no choice!"  

"If Hester finds out she will kill you." Anadil looked down at her hands. She couldn't just let her best friend die, even if it meant that she would be hated by her. 

In the distance the sound of students exiting classroom disrupts them. Children in perfect lines of black and green marched to their rooms to prepare for dinner. Knowing that they should join them the two witches started to pack up. As they were about to leave  Anadil grabbed Dot's hand, "Don't tell Hester," she pleaded.                                                                                                                 ‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ "Fine, but you have to tell her eventually," replied Dot, all Anadil could do was nod. She knew that Hester would eventually find out, but it was too soon. The two girls exited the library and walked back to their room in an eerie silence.