Slowly Building Trust

Sometime later, Joel let me drive the truck while he rested in the passenger seat. It wasn't even until a couple of hours of driving when we pulled up to Pittsburgh. I glance over to the passenger seat to see Joel was still asleep. I just smile at him as I look to the back seat to see Ellie was sleeping as well.

We've been so busy fighting and surviving, sometimes I forget the little things in life....I miss it. I thought as we drove down the freeway until I see a bunch of abandoned cars blocking the way. "Oh, no, no, no, no." I said as I slow down the truck, which woke Joel and Ellie up, then stopped. "What? What's...?" Joel started to ask until he saw the cars. "Well, perfect." He mutters, annoyed.

Ellie yawns then asked. "Now what?" Joel looks around as I look behind us. "Screw it. Take this exit." Joel said as he points at the turnpike on our right. "Okay." I said and I backed the truck up a bit then flipped it in drive and took the road. We continued on that road until a man pops out in front of us and I slam the brakes. "Easy!" Ellie said then she sees the man.

"Please...help." the man yelps as he clutched his stomach. "Holy shit... Are we going to help him?" Ellie asked us while Joel and I look at each other. He gets a look of determination then nods. I nod at him and we make sure we had our seatbelts on. "Put your seat belt on, Ellie." I said as I look ahead out towards the window.

"Help me..." the guy said.

"What about the guy?" Ellie asked.

"He ain't even hurt." Joel replied and I slammed my foot on the gas pedal and we drive ahead. The man then stands up a little straighter and starts to fire at us while some more guys start to pop out of their hiding place and fire at us.

I still drive through, hitting one of the men, when a guy throws a brick at the windshield and another at the passenger window. Joel leans back a d raises his arms to cover his face as the broken glass falls on him. "Oh, not good!" Ellie yells as an overturned bus t-bones us, making me lose control of the truck. "Hold on!" I yelled as I try to steer the truck into a storefront, crashing into it.

"I'm okay. I'm okay." Ellie assures as we recover from the crash and take some deep breathes. "Then get out quick." Joel said as we unbuckle our seatbelts when suddenly the back door opens and a man grabs Ellie. "C'mere, you!" He yells. "Shit!" Joel and I said when suddenly I felt someone grab me from behind and pulls me out of the truck.

"Let go of me, you chickenshit!" I hear Ellie yell at her attacker. "Joel!" I screamed as I see a hunter get behind him and slam his head against the middle console of the truck then pulled him out of the truck too. I struggle in the grip of the man that has a hold of me. "Hold still, bitch!" The man growled in my ear then I lean my head forward then jerked it backwards, slamming the back of my head into the man's face. 

"Ow! Son of a bitch!" The man growled when he let go of me. I bend down, grabbed a shard of glass on the floor and turned around and sliced the guys throat. The guy gurgles as he holds his throat then I stab him through the eye. "Get off of me!" I hear Ellie yell and I look over to see her on the ground and one of hunters standing over, about to strangle her.

Before I could do anything, Joel runs over to the man, kicks him in the face then grabs him by the neck and slams  his face against a desk. I run over to them as Ellie begins to cough. "Motherfucker." She coughs. "Come on." I said as the three of us head back to the truck.

"What's wrong with these guys?" Ellie asked me as Joel and I grab our backpacks then he grabs Ellie's backpack. "Catch your breath. We're leaving." He said to her as he throws the pack at her. "Kay..." Ellie said as she straps the backpack on then she looks over our shoulders. "Watch out!" She shouts as we heard gunshots.