Chapter 18 - Part 1

My mother's reflection stares back at me through the window. A beautiful silk gown shining with a deep green. Her hand rises to touch the dainty necklace hanging between her puffed breasts, pushed up by the embroidered corset. Pale skin frames the bright green jewel. Estella lifts the crown, draping it across her forehead. The jewels tickle my forehead, and I blink. The woman vanishes, and I stand in her place.

Horses neigh through the open balcony door. Rumbling of carriages flutter like thunder, but a calm sky brings no threat. The sun fades into evening lighting over the horizon. Stepping out into the balcony my puffy dress presses against the door frames. A long trail of carriages march towards the castle steps, where nobles ascend the stairs. Which ones are my suitors?

"Chloe, shall we head down now?" Estella hums calmly.

Nodding in sullen agreement, we step out into the hallway. Wilfrid greets us, the sash for his sword catches my attention. Crossing over the front of a long embroidered coat, he looks like the nobles marching in, only he is equipped with his sword. Glancing past him into the room he usually slept in, I see all the chests, Kalen's men had dragged in last night. On the bed is Kalen's dagger, left unattended and Wilfrid closes the door. Taking my arm, he leads me through the hallways.

"Is Kalen attending?"

Wilfrid nods. "He'll be there at some point."

Estella tucks a stray hair back behind my ear. Her forehead beading with sweat, she is nervous for me. "Now remember, King Thaddeus will introduce you, wait at the top of the stairs until his speech is finished. Lord Henry will meet you at the bottom of the stairs, take his hand and start your first dance." I gulp loudly, this was Thaddeus' way of showing the elegance I've acquired during my stay here. He is just trying to let the suitors know that I'm a well educated noble and not wild as he prefers to refer to it as. "Don't be nervous, your ready. Just talk to as many suitors as possible. One of them is bound to change your mind about marriage."

I nod with stiff fake confidence. "This is all dandy but how am I even supposed to know what the suitors look like?"

Wilfrid lightly chortles, glancing over my dress. "Trust me, they'll come to you."

Huffing begrudgingly, I march into the final hall. A man leans against the wall, a big hat tipped over his face. A familiarity with the little features I am able to take in. "I see my suspicions have been correct all along," Officer Quinton's voice drifts from the man.

Wilfrid shifts himself between us. "Her status is still none of your concern, officer."

Quinton leans in my direction. "It is a pleasure to see you're doing well, princess. Disappointing to see you still harbour bad company."

"Better company then some," I hiss.

"Walk away," Wilfrid warns him.

Officer Quinton bows deeply, "Of course, it was an honour, your highness."

Wilfrid opens the door after Quinton departs. The hum of a crowd rumbles through the open door. Estella squeezes my hand, "Ignore him." I nod and step out onto the platform. The door closes with a light click, and I shiver nervously. A light wind sent from the door's swing ripples through the fabric floating across the ceiling throughout the room.

Streams of sheer cloth drape down to the edges of the room. Iron rails framing the stairs before me connect me to the vast crowd filled with bright coloured outfits. Standing atop a platform, King Thaddeus roars. The silent crowd clings to every word. "Once again, thank you all for celebrating the return of my daughter." His hand gestures up toward me. Lifting my head high, and folding my hands in front of me, I mimic Cecile and Queen Helena. "I present to you, my daughter, Princess Claire the Second of Alexandria." Unfamiliar faces gaze up in shock and awe. I must look like the ghost of my mother.