Chapter 20

Moving on

6:53 pm

I was walking down the hall towards the nurse's station to drop off a chart when 2 people stepped out in front of me.

''Hey Kate. This is "Smalls," A.K.A. Colonel Elwood Green, my group therapy, MMA leader/torturer.'' TC explained after catching my attention.

''Oh, hi.'' I spoke looking at the older man who was walking with my boyfriend.

''This. This is Kate.'' TC introduced me to his old leader.

''Whoa. How'd you end up with him?'' Smalls asked and I laughed.

''He got lucky, I guess.'' I agreed. Topher's head popped out from the door to the break room.

''Smalls, Skype video call is ready.'' Topher informed him.

''Showtime. All right.'' Smalls commented.

''Whoa, whoa, whoa. What's this all about?'' Tee asked the man as we halted outside the break room.

'' I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. A little patience, Callahan.'' Smalls insisted.

''All right, everybody, we just have a few moments for this, but Smalls has a big surprise for us.'' Topher announced to everyone in the room as we walked in

''I wanted to thank all of you for the volunteer work you've been doing on the Mobile Vet Centers, but I got outranked. There's somebody else here today that would like to do that. It's all yours, ladies.'' Smalls spoke as the tv screen came on showing Michelle Obama and Jill Biden appeared.

''Hey, thank you, Smalls. Well, hello, San Antonio Memorial night shift. How are you guys doing?'' Michelle Obama spoke. I'm sure everyone was just as confused as me as everyone began standing up straight and proper. ''Well, I know you all are busy and about to stat your shift, but Jill and I wanted to personally thank you for everything you're doing to serve this community.

''Just from a show of hands, how many of you are veterans or married to veterans?'' Jill Biden asked, several people raised their hands including me.

'' Oh, great''

'' Outstanding. A-and by the way, we heard from Smalls about the terrific work you're doing with our veterans. Let me tell you, we're grateful to you for encouraging your veteran patients and their families to go to Vet Centers.'' Michelle informed everyone.

'' We're so glad that, if they need it, the San Antonio Veteran Community can get the free counseling and support they have earned.'' Jill told us.

''We're big believers in counseling and know how much it can help.'' Topher replied before looking at Tee who smiled in reply. I slipped my hand into his and squeezed it then smiled at him before looking back at the TV.

''Well, we're both so proud of all of you for being a driving force behind this work. So thanks again.Keep up the great work. And now we're gonna let you get started with your shift.''

'' Thank you.'' Everyone spoke at once.

''All right, guys, take it easy.'' And then the call ended.

''T.C. , there's been an accident at a construction site. They need you there stat.'' Molly told TC as she entered the room.

''On it.'' Tee replied before leaving. I went to turn around to talk to Drew before Molly called me.

''Kate, I've got someone on the phone for you.''

''Okay.'' I answered following her out. I stepped in behind the nurse's station before lifting the phone to me ear. ''Hello.''