Chapter 21

Moving On Part 2

''I need you to calm down Mrs. James.'' Topher told a woman who I recognized as Luke's mother.

''I want my son.'' She exclaimed.

''You can see him when Dr. Allister is done examining him.'' Topher spoke.

''I'm done.'' I said walking up beside Topher.

''Good because I'm taking him home.'' She informed us. I sighed before looking down at my watch to see the time. It was 12:30am. I had nearly 7 hours before my shift was over and I could go see Luke. But the date was more of interest to me then the time.

''Wait.'' I called to the mother as she was walking away.

''What is it Kate.'' Topher asked.

''Today's the 12th right.'' I asked Topher who pulled out his phone to check.

''Yeh it is.'' He agreed but looked at me confused.

''What has the date got to do with anything.'' Mrs James questioned.

''Today is the 12th of May.'' I said slowly hoping she would catch on.

''And...''

''You're son turned 18 thirty minutes ago. You can't take him anywhere.'' I spoke crossing my arms.

''What today isn't the 12th.'' She said reaching into her bag to pull out her phone to check the date. ''Oh my god it's his birthday.''

''I'm sorry Mrs James but if Luke wants to stay there isn't anything you can do.'' Topher insisted.

''Can I at least see him.'' She asked looking sad all of a sudden.

''Yeh right this way.'' I spoke leading her to her son. ''Luke. I've someone here who wants to see you.''

I opened the door wide to reveal his mom. He quickly sat up on his bed.

''Mom.''

''Hey baby.''

''I'll be outside just call if you need me.'' Luke nodded in reply as I smiled and left the room.

''So what do you think.'' Topher asked.

''I think he's been neglected and this could be one step closer for her to realize that her son is not okay.''

He nodded before leaving to go call Ali.

-----------------------------------------------------

''Hey, I heard you were up here.'' I spoke handing Tee a coffee as he sat against the wall on the ground.

''Oh, hey. Thanks.'' He replied as I took a seat across from him.

''It's a hell of a night, huh?'' I said getting comfortable as I faced my boyfriend.

''You too?'' He asked as he leaned his head against the wall behind him.

''Yeah, I got a teenage boy who may or may not be suicidal and to top it all of I think his parents forget he exists half the time.'' I explained. ''So, what's got you slumped up against the wall?''

''Oh, I just had to tell my patient that he has A.L.S.''

'' Oh.'' I whispered.

''Yeah. I had to call his family in Chicago and tell them he was a ticking clock to a slow and terrible death.'' Tee told me.

''Yeah, that's a tough call to make.''

''Yeah. And he was just getting it together, and then all of a sudden, you never know. So, he's talking to them now, and I wanted to give him some time." TC explained.