2013

Ashildr was a vision of beauty, sat in the sun with her hair falling around her face and her eyes twinkling softly.
Clara couldn't take her eyes off her. They sat across from each other in a café in Rome somewhere, bathing in the Earth sunlight thankfully after being away from it for a while. The rest of the square bustled with Italians and tourists equally, some biking over the stone paths and others squinting through cameras.
Clara sipped her coffee, paying no attention to anyone other than the woman in front of her.
"Clara, it's 2013, put the heart eyes away," she whispered, suppressing a smile. Ashildr's cheeks turned a deep shade of pink.
"Can you still get sunburnt? You're going a bit red, just there," Clara replied, leaning across the table and brushing the back of her fingers across her partner's cheek. Ashildr's blush deepened as she swatted Clara's hand away - Ashildr was very shy out in public, but Clara knew that as soon as they were alone she'd have the shagging of a lifetime.
Clara chuckled, forever a tease, when two other women caught her eye. One was slightly taller than her, with ginger hair coming down to just below her shoulders, and the other was taller still, aided by a head of thick curls worn as an afro. They were holding hands. It seemed to Clara that they had a sort of perception filter on them, as nobody in the square seemed to notice how the ginger seemed to be composed of water and her partner of glass.
"Hey," Clara muttered, hiding her face behind her mug but nodding towards the couple, "space lesbians. Like us."
"We're not space lesbians," Ashildr scorned, swiveling in her chair to try and see the couple. They let their hands slip out of each others. "We should say hi, right?"
"We've scared them now. If we go up to them they'll think we're gonna tell them they're going to hell."
Clara stood up and began walking towards the two, pulling Ashildr along by the hand.
"Clara," she began to object, "we really-"
Clara simply shushed her and continued up to the two other women.
"Sorry, hi, Clara," she said to them. "We're not homophobic or anything, my girlfriend here, Ashildr, she's gay." Clara motioned to Ashildr.
"Bill," the taller woman said. She motioned to her girl, taking her hand again. "This is Heather. We were just... Passing through."
Heather crossed her free arm over her body and tucked her fingers around Bill's elbow.
"All of time and space, stopping in Italy has to be kept short. We had the same idea."
"How did you know that?" Heather asked.
"Come on. We'll show you our TARDIS."