Bloody Zeus

27th February, 8,542,600,072 (ish)

        The ancient Greeks had a myth that people were once creatures with two heads and eight limbs that cartwheeled along the Earth until Zeus became envious and stuck them in two, destined to search for their other half for eternity - I never put any credence in it. To highlight my disbelief would be pointless - I disbelieve every myth: hell, I was there when most of them were written, I even crop up in a few. No, it was more that I disagreed; I always thought that I was whole as an individual - until, of course, I met Clara.
       It felt like slotting right in to another puzzle piece, meeting her, and we fit together so perfectly, without a hitch or a snag. Nothing she would ever do could surprise me, or take me off guard, because I know her so well; sometimes, it feels as if she's an extension of me. I may have been complete before Clara, but I will never be complete after her. If I could have realised, all those years ago, that the myth only made sense to those who have looked in the eyes of the woman stood next to them and read the sentence on their own tongue, perhaps I would not have been so judgemental, but simply relaxed into the idea of eternal matchmaking.
        Just this morning I woke to her face above my own. It shone in the manner that only hers does and I watched as her eyes crinkled when she smiled. She's so cute like that. Seeing a creature who projects such a hardened attitude to convince herself she's indestructible be so vulnerable in your presence alerts you to the fragility of the nature of trust. I didn't even realise it was my hand she leant her cheek against until after a moment had passed. This is what the Greeks were on about when they theorised two people in love were actually one subjected to unwitting separation by of a vengeful god - this exact feeling right here.
     I am achingly in love with her.