Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen | First Order of Business

"SEEMS LIKE I AM always saving your asses," Chloe stated as she threw the rocket launcher into the street.

        You and Nathan exchanged glances, disbelief in both of your eyes. You had to admit, her statement was somewhat accurate.

        Back when Nathan, Sully, Chloe, and yourself were on a quest for the legendary Amber Room in Agartha, an ancient, underground lost city, you were surrounded by grey-skinned creatures with white hair and long red sharp nails, known as the Smoking Gods.

        The creatures killed off the mercenaries that were after you, but unfortunately, one had its eyes on you. The creature's claws scratched your forearms as you shielded your face. You kicked the creature in the face and forced it back.

        The monster howled in anger, but before it could do any more damage, Chloe grabbed a rocket launcher and shot the walls to create a cave-in, holding the Smoking Gods back.

        Forcing your thoughts back to the present, you chuckled and smiled. "How many favors do we owe you now?"

        Chloe tapped her finger against her chin. "Hmm . . . I'd say it's around thirty." She shrugged nonchalantly and jumped from the car, landing softly on her feet. She made her way over to you and her eyes wandering over your lovely injuries. "What the hell happened to you, [Name]?"

        Nathan rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly while you glanced at the ground, kicking some trash with your boot. "We—uh encountered some of Lazarević's men while driving through the city. Turns out they didn't exactly welcome us with open arms."

        You quickly chimed in, "Don't worry about me, I'm fine. We have more important things to deal with." Your [color] eyes fell on the ancient Tibetan ritual dagger in Nathan's front pocket.

        Chloe followed your gaze. "So, this is the key to everything?" she inquired.

        Nathan nodded and grabbed the Phurba from his pocket. "Yes, it is. Marco Polo's 'passport' to Shambhala."

        "What do we do with it?"

        "We have no idea, actually," you admitted. "We do know Lazarevic won't get very far without it."

        Chloe shook her head and began to pace back and forth. "I wouldn't underestimate him, you know. He and Flynn have been tearing this city apart. They must've leveled dozens of temples already. So, what's our next move?

        You and Nathan didn't answer.

        "Nate? [Name]?" Chloe turned around and saw the two of you examining the Phurba intently. She clicked her tongue. "I hate it when you two do that," she muttered as she walked over to you.