Part I: Ought To--Chapter 7

"I believe in God, our Heavenly Father, and that he created me. I believe that God knows I'm not perfect, but that he knows that I can be perfect and that I want to make him happy, and he wants me to be happy, and he's revealed the only true path to return to him. I believe the Holy Ghost helps me on that path. I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe he came down to Earth to redeem us from our sins and to bring the message of the Gospel. I believe in the Gospel, and I think it's the only way that we can reach the exalted level that our Heavenly Father wants us to achieve. I believe that the Prophet Joseph Smith restored the Gospel to the Earth after it was lost, and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the organization that fosters the true Gospel in our world. And I look forward to the opportunity to serve the Church as a missionary."

Neil's testimony sounded sincere, but he also stumbled around it a bit, like he wasn't sure he was doing it right.

"Very beautifully said, Neil. You're a bright young man." Neil enjoyed talking to Bishop Tipton, who was always enthusiastic and quick with praise. "Do you feel that you've repented for past transgressions?"

"To the best of my ability," replied Neil. "Of course, sometimes you're not aware of your transgressions until long after you committed them."

"True, true." The interview that prospective missionaries have with their bishop is on one hand a rote formality, but also a chance for a young man or woman to reflect on the end of their childhood. "Have I gotten out of my youth without doing anything really stupid?" is really the unspoken question that's being answered.

"Do you keep the Word of Wisdom? Have you ever consumed alcohol or illegal drugs, or abused prescription medication?"

"No."

"Do you keep the Sabbath Day holy?"

"Yes." Well, the Christian Sabbath, anyway.

"Are you honest in all you say and do?"

"Yes." But isn't that how a dishonest person would answer that question?

After the questions about legal and health issues, Tipton finished up his writing. "Good job, Neil. I'll recommend you without hesitation for a mission. Have you given any thought on where you'd like to go?"

"My first choice would be France. I'd like to learn French, and the countryside looks pretty. Especially I'd like to see the vineyards and how they compare to here. Bordeaux and Burgundy and all that. Italy would probably be the second choice. For the same reason."

"Definitely the vineyards are a sight to see. So long as you don't partake of the product."

They laughed. Neil continued, "Really, anyplace where I could learn a new language."

"So, probably not England or Australia, then?"

"Or even, you know," Neil thought for a second, "Alaska."

From there, Annie Cannon drove her son over to his dental exam. "How do you think the Warriors will do against the Jazz tonight?" Basketball was a tight bond that mother and son shared.

"Utah will probably keep it close for a while, but no way they win."

"Don't you feel guilty rooting against the team that the leaders of your church are mostly fans of?" she teased.

"It's good they lose then. If the Jazz win, it's Satan tempting them away from their spiritual obligations."

Dr. Roundtree finished putting fluoride in Neil's mouth, then grabbed the clipboard and stroked his grey beard, as he examined the church paperwork for the pre-mission dental exam. "Wow, your church is very particular about things. Bite wing x-rays, yes. Gum infection solved, yes. Third molars, those are wisdom teeth. Last time I asked about extracting the wisdom teeth, you said you'd think about it. Now, they look fine, but, how long will he be gone?"