Martyrdom

It was past closing before her coworker had returned from the hospital.

"Estelle, is there a good reason the front door is locked? The open sign is still up." Rory's vocalization chimed with the greeting bell of the entrance. Estelle resisted the urge to roll her fingers over the dull ache in her temples. She instead began to knead the dough before her with a new fervor, exorcizing her emotions into the sweetened batter. "Estelle, are you here?" Rory spoke louder this time, the red-head's low timber carrying to the blonde's designated sanctuary in the back of her work place.

"I'm here." Estelle's voice cracked as she spoke, raw with a demand for sleep. "I'm prepping tomorrow's batch." She informed Rory as the other woman dropped her now barren tote bag onto the floor near the door. The heels of her boots clicked across the floor as she sauntered over to Estelle. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, pouting as she leaned over the counter where her friend was at work. "Your elbows are going to be covered in flour." Estelle griped as the woman leaned into her space.

"I don't care. I'm here to make your life hell," Rory's utterance was over-dramatic at best, but her elbows left the counter as her arms crossed over her chest. The evening sun front the high-arching window at the top of the bakery sink caught in her hair, highlighting it's warm, auburn hues.

"And why is that?" The blonde asked her, lifting a flour beaded brow. Rory huffed,

"I ran into Bedivere in the hospital parking lot, totally blew me off." Rory whined, leaning her weight to one side. She stifled a cough with a hand splayed across her mouth. "He looked mad pissed. I totally thought we made a little connection. Did you ruin my chances?" She spoke through her fingers, eyebrows playfully constricted with suspicion.

"Bedivere?" Estelle's heart nearly dropped in her chest. "Did he do anything to you?" Rory choked back another cough, patting herself near her collarbone.

"No, I wish." She said slyly as Estelle averted her eyes, cheeks crimson with anger. "You're acting weird, Estelle. You doin' alright?" Rory's reached over, fingers sliding against her shoulder blade in a consoling manner.

"Just stressed-- busy day." Estelle lied, shrugging past Rory's overstretched hand. Anyone I care about is in danger because of him. She shoved the dough onto a pan and yanked the seran wrap from it's container, barely refraining from stomping over to the freezer. A cough sounded from behind the lithe girl, resonating in the back of her head. It began again, moisture-ridden and rough as it left the redhead. Rory clutched her chest, clearing her throat when the fit had finally stopped.

Estelle's eyes widened, horror-stricken as she thought of those in the hospital- all plagued with the same sickness. Pneumonia.

"Rory, when did you get that cough, are you alright?" Estelle was at her side in an instant, skin taking on a pallor that it hadn't had previously. Rory waved her hand at her, one covering her lips.

"Don't overreact," She laughed, though it sounded uncomfortable. "After the hospital, but pneumonia isn't contagious." The red-headed woman reassured, brown eyes watering.

"Rory, you need to go to the hospital." Estelle's tone was harsh and gave no room for discussion. Rory nodded deftly, confusion gracing her features as Estelle grabbed her purse and keys from the hooks against the wall and sprinted towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Rory called after her as the blonde's foot hit the pavement outside. The fresh air struck her in a wave, chilling the exposed skin of her neck and hands.

"I'll be back tomorrow! Make sure you see someone about that cough, I'm not kidding."

Rory chuckled, leaning back against the counter near the exit, "Don't worry, darlin', I will if you're that worried about me!" She cooed, laughing at Estelle's offended expression.