Chapter 41 - Derek

"Yes, I'm sorry, I'm coming. Bye."

I quickly put my stuff away and started off to where Dad was, feeling uneasy. He sounded so urgent on the phone, making my stomach turn. Maddy jogged to catch up with me, asking, "What's going on?"

I knew I didn't have time to explain it all. "Just...stuff. I'll explain more later." I gave her hand a squeeze before heading towards him. She didn't say anything back, but I couldn't turn around and give her a quick hug or just talk for another moment or two no matter how much I wanted to. Instead, I anxiously looked forward to the scout, recognizing him as the Mansfield guy from yesterday.

"Derek, pleasure to see you again." He shook my hand once more, wasting no time in leading me to the concessions pavilion. "Let's talk." I sat across from him, next to Dad. Mom was off conversing somewhere, leaving me alone with Dad and slightly more uneasy than before. The scout continued talking. "Listen, we'd really like for you to play." He turned to Dad, shaking his head in disbelief. "I mean, the kid's a prodigy." Dad smiled proudly as he turned back to me. "Those saves against Wellington I've rarely seen in high school games."

"Thank you." I twisted my hands together as he pulled out a few papers from his satchel, showing a happy little boarding school with fake-smiling students, set on a lush green field and crystal blue sky with unnaturally perfect trees and clouds.

"I'll cut to the chase, you've got a full ride. Nearly guaranteed. We're desperate for a new goalie since ours graduated last year." He paused, looking expectant. Full ride, no way. This had to be a scam. Had to be. I didn't know what to say, I had no idea what to say, what to think, how to comprehend all this. He spoke up again quietly. "How do you feel about boarding school? It's not as terrible as everyone makes it out to be."

Slowly, I responded. "I don't know how I feel, honestly. I haven't been away from home for an extended period of time before."

"There is a commuting option. But to my understanding, you live nearly three hours away." Dad nodded.

"When does the fall semester start?" I asked.

"Three weeks." I stopped, and he must've noticed the fear I couldn't mask, quickly reconciling. "No worries, the athletic department will cover the late enrollment fees, and scheduling will be a breeze. We'll need your information and enrollment form in by next Firday however. No rush, no rush, just think about it."

I nodded as he smiled broadly. "Great. Hope to hear from you soon." He pushed the papers towards us both while Dad started to leaf through them calmly. How was there no rush? I still couldn't believe what was actually happening. Two days ago I would be dreading going to Ashcrest again, same old routine, but now I could be moving hours away attending a brand new school. I'd leave Maddy and Wyatt and all the other friends and acquaintances I've managed to make behind like Scarlett did. I wouldn't come home to my room, or my house. I'd be gone. And have to make new friends while I'm adjusting, not to mention juggling soccer with more skilled players.

I sat in silence as Dad continued to read papers. Even though I couldn't stand the thought, I knew the opportunity that was being handed to me was a once-in-a-lifetime chance. I knew it couldn't only get me into a college for soccer, but more than likely a private college, or an extremely good scholarship to somewhere else. Maybe even a full ride. This could very well be the start of a career, even though that was years and years off. I mean, Max would've taken it without a second thought. If he was a little more pursuing and a little less interested in architecture, he would've been playing soccer for two years already instead of just starting junior year. Max would be telling me take it. Dad will be telling me to take it. Mom would say it's up to me, but would want me to take it too. I'm the only who didn't want to take it.