Chapter Fourteen

HE wasn’t online. Oh ha! After all that, there was no green dot next to his name. I was kind of relieved actually, meant I could write him out what I wanted to say in a few paragraphs, instead of the back-and-forth of chat taking over.

Joanna Cartwright: heya. i forgot to say today - you were right about Rainey. it really was like a miracle. i saw her today and i didn’t feel mad at her at all! in fact, i felt really good about her, so i went up to her and made some jokes and stuff, and she was still mad at me but for some reason, she broke down and told me what the actual problem was. i guess cos *i* was different, yes? and she had a big cry and i cuddled her and it was cool. i feel closer to her now than i have in a long time.

I pressed enter and started to write another paragraph when a reply from Michael popped up.

Michael Christopher: Yeah, that’s how it works! That’s so great, wow dude, your first miracle!

My nerves ratcheted up about a jazillion mega watta-knotts, and my hands hovered over the keyboard, not sure what to say next.

Joanna Cartwright: oh hey you!

Michael Christopher: Hey you. :)

Joanna Cartwright: so… is that really what a miracle is?

Michael Christopher: Yeah! It’s like… a collapsing of time.

Joanna Cartwright: what do you mean by that?

Michael Christopher: Well, quite literally. Like, usually it woulda taken you guys a lot longer to get good again normally, yeah?

Joanna Cartwright: oh yeah. a LOT longer. when Rainey’s on her high horse, she can really ride that thing!

Michael Christopher: Haha!! Right, well, just in doing what you did last night, you collapsed that time. You made the whole thing a lot quicker.

Joanna Cartwright: oh.. right! i get it. cool!

Michael Christopher: Yeah, it is cool. But it has other effects too.

Joanna Cartwright: like what?

Michael Christopher: Well, it’s also related to the stress in your body, yeah? Like, when you’re stressed out about someone, your body doesn’t work as well.

Joanna Cartwright: yeah?

Michael Christopher: So, sometimes, when you heal something like that, you also heal the body as well.

Joanna Cartwright: i don’t get you.

Michael Christopher: Well, the only real cause of illness in the body is stress. You take away some of that stress for good, the body relaxes and heals itself.

Joanna Cartwright: wow!!

Michael Christopher: Yeah, right? Amazing.

Joanna Cartwright: so…

I left those ellipses typed open for a long time, the cursor blinking right next to them. Of course, the first person I think of when I think about making them well again, is my Mom. But… how much did I want to tell him about her?

Michael Christopher: Jo?

Oh man! I’ve done that thing again where I stop typing mid-conversation. He must think I’m such a weirdo. On top of everything else. Think, Jojo, think!! Say something, anything!!