Chapter 1

Gabby stood aside with Shay preparing the gurney and grabbing their response bags to assess the victims as they came out. Afterwards she watched as Casey and his assigned group along with Severide and his rushed into the burning building. Gabby knew that they had little time to search and rescue by the look on Chief Boden's face.

As Truck 81 and Squad 3 came out with victims, both paramedics went straight to work in assessing them. Luckily most of them only had minor smoke inhalation and scratches and bruises from falling debris.

"Casey, Severide, you guys have one minute left to continue searching. Any longer and this building will collapse." Chief Boden's voice crackled through their radios. Gabby exhaled deeply and tried to calm her racing heart. She knows Casey always obeys orders but there were times he wouldn't in order to save someone. And that's what made Gabby worry every time Chief told them to back out.

"All clear on the third floor, Chief!" Severide said.

"Fourth floor clear too, Chief!" Casey followed.

"Alright, I want everyone out now! The roof could collapse any second." Chief ordered.

Gabby stood by Chief as they both listened to Herrmann and Casey. It appeared they had found another victim with a baby and the screams for her baby could be heard. They could also hear Casey and Herrmann arguing over who would take the mother and who would take the baby. In the end it had been Herrmann who came out with the mother while Casey stayed back to look for the baby. Both Chief and Gabby let out a breath of relief when they heard cries of a baby come through the radio.

"Casey, I need an update."

"Almost there, Chief!"

Gabby bounced nervously on her feet as she waited for him to come out.

"Come on, baby. Come on." She whispered to herself, her eyes focused on the doorway waiting to see Casey walk out.

All of a sudden sparks spewed up from the roof and a creaking noise sounded before dust flew out of the entry door. Gabby felt her heart begin racing as Chief called a mayday and ordered everyone to go in and help Casey. She felt helpless as she stood there and waited for them to come out.

Moments later, Casey stumbled out of the building and fell to the ground but kept a strong grip on the baby. Gabby rushed forward and grabbed the baby from him and then handed her off to Shay. She took off Casey's mask and noticed the blood running down his head.

With the help of the others, she laid him on the gurney and put him in the ambulance. Without even asking, Severide immediately jumped in with her. Gabby knew if she told him he could stay back he wouldn't bother, he would never leave his brother.

As Shay drove towards Chicago Med, Gabby tried to stabilize Matt. His entire body shaking and even with the help of Severide she still struggled with putting the oxygen mask over him.

"Come on, Matt! Not like this!" She cried out as his eyes opened but immediately rolled back. She looked up at Kelly and wasn't surprised to see that he had tears in his eyes. The man already went through so much and losing his brother would certainly make it worse.

When they arrived at Med all they could do was sit and wait for the doctor to come out and tell them what was going on. It was only a few minutes later before the rest of 51 filled up the seats in the waiting area.

Gabby stood leaning against the wall with her head down and jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked up and relaxed when she saw it was Shay.

"He's going to be okay. He's young and strong and he will fight through this." She reassured Gabby.

Before she could say anything back, Dr. Halstead walked out through the double doors towards them. Gabby immediately knew something was wrong.