Chapter 4: The Part That Makes Light Of Sexual Harassment

After we skipped class, Chad and I got detention. For a week.

Together.

If it wasn't for the Obligatory Lover's Quarrel, this wouldn't be so bad. But since we were fighting about stupid things for no reason other than plot, this was going  to be a bad week. 

After walking silently to the detention room, we both sat down at desks that were across the room from each other. I sat down next to an oily-haired kid with buck teeth and acne. He immediately started breathing heavily and staring. 

As he stared longingly at my mini-mini-miniskirt, I thought, Is this the perverted kid in every teen lit book? It can't be!  But sure enough, he reached up my skirt, because this happens in every Wattpad story.

If I were a normal functioning human, my thought process would probably not be, Maybe if Chad sees me in trouble, he'll save me and forget about the Obligatory Lover's Quarrel! 

But as we've established, I'm not a normal functioning human. I'm a high-voiced delicate flower angel who needs a man to save her.

 The response of a sane person would be to yell for help, run away, or maybe slap the harasser. But the only thing I could do was look at Chad with melting eyes and say "Help!" in a soft voice. 

 Many people think using sexual harassment as a cheap way to establish connection between two love interests is hurtful to actual victims of it, and they're not wrong. But I wasn't worried about offending people. All I was worried about was winning over Chad. 

 After he heard my call, Chad got up and body-slammed the pervert. It took twenty minutes for the teacher to pull them apart. After they were pried apart, Chad ran over to me, grabbed me in his arms like a shih tzu, and bolted out of the detention room. 

Everything was going fine and dandy until he tripped and accidentally flung me sixty feet in the air. 

"CATTY! WAIT! WAIT, NO, CATTY, NO, WAIT!!!!!"

I flew through the crisp fall air like a bird without wings. I looked down at Chadwick. Chadwick Shadowrook Coalglacier Sharpcliff was the most attractive boy ever. Did I mention that? He started to fry in the sunlight. Vampire stuff, I guess.

I landed in a tree and knocked half the leaves to the ground. "GO BACK INSIDE, CHAD! I DON'T WANT YOU TO BURN!"