Prolouge

The show, as always, was fantastic, exuberant even, so why did it hurt so much as he walked of the stage.
That damn stage, the one thing people recognised him for revolved around that damned stage, never had his fans every asked how he felt. His fans only cared about the next show. To them he was immaculate, astonishing, the star to be, the only star.

"I-" Mettaton stifled a sob. "Alphys. I ne-need" Tears racked through his body, his wonderfully fabulous artificial body, a body with so many details to adjust for facial expressions. A face that shivered and sniffles behind stage.
Mettaton clumsily fumbled for his cellphone. Shakily, he pressed in the numbers to be met with that soft wringing.

It rung again.

And again.

Again.

And then finally,

"H-hi Mettaton how was th-the cooking show?" Alphys crackled in over the phone. Nervous seeping into every word. "M-Mettaton?" Alphys, cute, shy Alphys. One of Mettatons closest friends. One of his only friends. The reality of that statement hit him like a bullet. Only. He had friends. Dear friends. Too few of them. Alphys, practically a mother to him. As nervous as she was, she cared and would listen to Mettaton when he broke down. Both physically and mentally. And-. The list of friends ended there. One...one friend.

"Mettaton a-are you al-alright?" Alphys sounded so worried, like always. Always caring.

A soul shuddering sob was all she got in return.

"Mettaton!?" Alphas exclaimed

"Al-Alphys darling." The words sounded croaky and miserable. "I need to-" Another chocked cry tore through her body. "I need to talk. I-in person. Now."

"Mettaton w-what happened are you h-hurt are yo-"

"Please Alphys." The star cried. "I-I need to just talk. Face to face."

"I-..." Alphys halted mid sentence. "I'll be there shortly. Just stay there I'll-" Once again she was cut off by another soul wrenching noise of pure despair

"Th-thank you Alphys" Those three words brought joy to her heart, but worry followed soon after. "But ple-please hurry. I- I don't-" His words we're stopped short by his sorrowful cries.

Unknown to Mettaton, Alphys was already walking outside her lab. Her knuckles clenched around her phone so tight it might crack. Her feet crunched against the ground.
She'd be there to comfort him all right. He was the only family she ever had. The brisk walk turned into a sprint.