Chapter 16

important announcement: i've published a new fic called "melt my heart". if you want, give it some love and leave a few comments, i'd really appreciate it ♡ that being said, enjoy this new chapter, hope you like it!

The scars on her back, slowly, healed without anyone noticing.

Minutes turned into hours, and hours turned into days, but Taylor never saw Karlie again after that night. Taylor felt like something had changed, and not for the better. It wasn't like Karlie was avoiding her; they never crossed paths, they never had a class together, nor did Taylor see the brunette during the usual Mass. The blonde had started to worry; what if something had happened to her and she didn't know? What if Karlie was tired of her and of their little affair? What if—

But then Taylor heard it; her laugh, echoing around the hallways of the school like it was some kind of forbidden sound.

She turned around so fast that the healing scars on her back hurt a little at the sudden movement, but everything faded into nothing when she laid her eyes upon her. Karlie looked ethereal; perhaps it was because she hadn't seen her in days, and she had missed her in more ways than one. Or maybe it was because, under the light of the burning sun of spring, her skin seemed golden. It had a glow of its own. And her smile—her smile was like the cherry on top. If Taylor wasn't blind before seeing Karlie today, she surely was now.

What do I do?, she asked herself in a panic. But she didn't have time to register what was happening, because before she knew it, Karlie's eyes crossed the entire hallway and met hers in a stolen glance. The smile on the brunette's face faltered, the light in her eyes slightly vanished, and then she said something to the girl she was talking to. Taylor watched the entire interaction; how the other pupil nodded apprehensively and how Karlie suddenly walked down another hallway, away from the other students.

Now, without an ounce of doubt, Karlie was avoiding her; she had seen Taylor, and apparently she didn't want to talk to her. But Taylor didn't want to let her go that easily; she wanted explanations, and before she knew it, her feet were involuntarily dragging her toward the runaway Karlie. She saw her walk down a dark corridor, and despite her own racing heart, she still followed her, grabbing her by the wrist as soon as she was close enough.

"Karlie, I—,"

"What are you doing?"

Karlie frantically looked around, snatching her hand away from the blonde's. Taylor hid her disappointment and tried to look as unaffected by Karlie's rejection as possible. "I haven't seen you in days, I—I've missed you, Karlie,"

Hearing her name out loud from the blonde made the brunette shiver. "Taylor, I—,"

"Were you avoiding me?" Taylor immediately asked.

Karlie looked helpless, as she furiously opened her mouth various times just to close it seconds later. The taller girl grabbed the shorter one by the wrist, pushing her inside an empty room; or rather, an empty, dimly lit chapel. There, a small altar stood ominously a few feet away from them, two red candles lit beside the shrine sitting on top of it.

Taylor looked at Karlie, her eyes wide and waiting for an explanation. She was holding back from her, because even though they needed to talk, the blonde would rather push her own body against Karlie's and feel her lips forcefully press against her own. She's never been a needy person; but then, she's never been a sinful one, until Karlie came along and turned her whole world upside down.

"I'm waiting," Taylor stated quietly, impatiently. She held her trembling hands into fists by her sides, as she stared at the taller girl, who was standing in front of her, unbothered.