CHAPTER 30

Ruby St. Clair's POV

On my way to Spain, I mentally prepared myself for my encounter with Roman. It took every ounce of my courage to face him again after I learned that he was deviously scheming this plan with granddad against me. I wasn't given the two of them.

With me was my hand carry with a few clothes and the all-important documents in my luggage. I just need him to sign the divorce paper and then we'll go on our separate ways. I can do this, I told myself silently as I closed my eyes on the plane ride.

But my preparation didn't stand a chance when I finally arrived at Roman's high-rise office building in the city. I was back at the place where this was all started. My nerves were on alert as I sat outside Roman's office waiting for him to finish his board meeting. I was told by his secretary that he'd been in the boardroom since he arrived this morning.

So here I was, mentally preparing myself once I saw him again. I reminded myself to act cool and composed while dealing with him. I need to show him that he does not affect me—whatsoever—that he can't fool me around anymore.

I bit my lips, despite reminding myself to harden my heart the thought of seeing him again made my heart waver. Can I do this? I asked myself silently as I tightened my hold on the divorce papers in my hand.

I felt out of place in his office since these formal-looking people working for him. Here I was wearing a pair of dark jeans, a white T-shirt, and a cardigan. Heck, I also brought my overnight luggage with me to his office.

I didn't even waste time bothering to check in at some decent hotel because once he signed this blasted paper I would book myself a flight back to New York. I tapped my feet on the floor a mannerism I do when I'm nervous. The waiting is killing me.

The intercom sounded on the table of Roman's secretary. My heart suddenly beat loudly in my chest when the woman stood from her table and gestured for me to enter Roman's office. I forced my feet to walk towards his office.

I took a deep breath one last time before entering his office. I realized upon seeing him again after a week of our separation have I never accomplished anything from my preparation. There he was standing behind his table looking at me with unreadable eyes.

I commanded myself to walk even further into his office. I was aware of the thick atmosphere around us as silence engulfed the room. I tossed the envelope unceremoniously on his glass table. "I came here just like you wanted now sign those papers as you promise."

He didn't even look at the paper I threw on his table. He never broke his gaze on me, suddenly I felt slightly nervous at his intense look at me. "How are you?" He said after a long silence inside his office.

"Never been better," I told him, even though I've been in hell since he left. But I wasn't going to tell him that. "Please sign the papers so I can leave."

He was still staring at me with intensity in his eyes. I nearly squirm at his forceful gaze. He finally broke eye contact took the divorce papers from his table and studied them. He looked at me once again. "You haven't signed the papers yet."

I rolled my eyes. "I will sign them once you are done. I am in a hurry to fly here that's why I forgot to sign them."

Roman placed them back on his table. "You first. Sign them first."

I let out my frustration at him. Why does he make this difficult? He just needs to put his signature on a few pages. Why does he want to make it harder than it was supposed to be? "What for? I can sign them later."

He shook his dark head resolutely. He offered me his fountain pen in my direction. Ironically, it was the same pen I gave him on Christmas. "You do it first." He bargained. "I want you to sign them first so it won't look like I divorce you. I want you to sign them first since you are divorcing me."