Prologue

Mark

I turned the key and pushed open the door. It was darker than usual today, daylight savings time always confused me. I set my bag to the side and went to the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

"Mark? You home?" Someone called.

Jane turned around the corner and peered into the kitchen. She held a phone in her hand.

"No, I'm not home." I smiled.

"Gee, Mark never said anything about a house invading twin."

"Welp you learn something new every day." I chuckled weakly.

Her face changed to a more curious position. She studied me a moment.

"What's wrong?" She asked suddenly.

"It's just been a rough day."

She always knew when something was up, I didn't want her to worry. I put the cup in the sink and tried to squeeze past her to another room. She grabbed my arm.

"You're not doing this."

"Doing what?..."

She started leading me over to the couch and sat me down before sitting next to me. She was saying something but I instantly started staring off into the distance.

"Mark?"

I snapped back into reality and turned my direction to Jane. She was tearing up.

"What did I just say?" She sniffed.

My mind started racing. What did she say? I looked nervously around the room. After a few seconds, she grabbed my hand and I took a breath, calming down.

"Mark, you need help."

She held my hand up to her head and put her head down.

"You need to stop worrying about me."

She put her head up and stared me down.

"Then who will? You won't."

That hurt. She seemed to regret that sentence. I covered my face with my hands. After a minute I heard her get up and move around me. I felt her grab my wrist before pulling me up to a standing position. She pulled me in for a hug and we swayed back and forth. After another minute she pulled away.

"You should get some rest. Take a day off tomorrow, please."

I sighed. She leads me down the hallway and stopped at the door. She reached up to kissed me before sending me into the room. I fell onto the bed and looked up at the roof a moment.

She knew what would happen once I fell asleep. Did she think being there would help? Maybe. Either way, I was tired. I didn't even change into something comfortable before falling asleep.

(Yup, told you this was bad)