Chapter Ten

Mae

I woke up this morning crying.. My heart was racing and I was shaky. I must have had a nightmare, but I couldn't remember what it was about.

I was super happy about the weekend and spent time in my room. I couldn't sleep so I just watched videos all day. My family was planning on going out for sushi today but none of us were in the mood. Maybe tomorrow.

Mae

The lobby was completely empty. Black spots and holes were spread all over the room and dust hovered in the air. The room had a negative force scattered around the place. I blinked and Sydney appeared. She looked just as worried as I did.

"What happened here?" She said and turned repeatedly around the room.

"I don't know."

I blinked again and Madison appeared. She looked around frantically. We walked over to her.

"Are you ok?" I asked.

She nodded.

"Yeah I just panicked a bit...Where did everyone go?"

"I second that." Ace said walking around to greet us. "What happened after I left?"

"Dustin went off on Mark," Sydney replied.

Dustin appeared.

"Well speaking of the devil," I said.

He looked around a moment.

"I-I'm still here? Guys, I'm so sorry."

"You were out of line," I replied.

"I know, I know." He put his head down. "God I'm so stupid, I just got scared. and I don't know, I always do this." He looked up. "Sorry for yelling at you guys." He said.

"Look we don't care anymore." Sydney started. "You just have to apologize to Mark."

Dustin nodded.

"Where is Mark?" Ace asked.

I pointed at the poster. When they didn't get it I walked up to it and elbowed a hole in the poster leading into darkness.

"He's been trying to cover it up for days," I announced.

Everyone gathered around the whole. I pulled the poster back to reveal the gateway of madness.

"What happened to me yesterday?" I asked when everyone gathered. Everyone looked at each other. Ace started.

"You were freaking out in the lobby about something and suddenly just fell through the floor."

Dustin pointed to the poster.

"Like this one."

"Wait you said he tried to cover it up right?" Madison started. I nodded. "Why would he go in on purpose?"

"He probably feels like he has to," Sydney replied. "Oh and Mae, here." She handed me, my ax.

"Thanks?" I think.

Whatever happened was in the past. I tried to focus my attention forward. I took a deep breath and looked back at the team. Sydney nodded and we stumbled into the darkness, together.

Mae

The darkness lit up into a hallway. The walls were white and the floor was tiled with blue and white.

"Looks like a school." Ace said glancing around the rooms we passed.

"Or a hospital." Madison pointed to a bed with wheels.