5

Dakota woke in a room, still in her clothes from the reaping. The last thing she remembered was falling asleep on Finnick as they left District 4. She turned over in bed to see a box on her bedside table. She got up, there was a letter on it. She took the book in her lap and opened the letter to see who put it there;

Happy Birthday Dakota,

You fell asleep and I carried you in here. Sorry I held your hand, but I don't think I could lose you in those games...you're the one my best friend. This is the gift I was supposed to give you after the reaping, but I forgot. Open the box and put it on, then show me...I'm at the window we where at last night. Hope you had a good sleep, and Happy Birthday,

Finnick.

Dakotaplaced the letter by her side and opened the box. She gasped when she saw whatFinnick had gotten her. It was a beautiful necklace, plain and simple but beautiful. Dakota put it on immediately wanting to have something of Finnick's with her. As she scanned the letter again she wondered what the words crossed out were. She got out of bed and changed into a red top and black pants, rushing to find Finnick. As she reached the window they were at yesterday she saw Finnick, sitting there waiting, she walked slowly to over look what he was doing. He seemed to be stuck in thought and it was only when she sat down that Finnick noticed her. 

"Do you like it?" Finnick asked, turning to her. She nodded her head and he smiled as he saw she was wearing it. 

"What?" She said, she didn't understand why Finnick was so smiley. 

"Nothing...look Hazel's coming." Finnick grumbled. Hazel was now dressed like a peacock. She had somebody else behind her who had just entered. 

"Mags!" Finnick and Dakota yelled, pushing past Hazel and jumping onto Mags. They could faintly here her small laugh as she brushed their hair. As they stayed like this for what felt like hours Hazel spoke up. 

"I thought, Mags should be your mentor for Trever the other victor didn't know who either of you were. And there seemed to be a connection between you 3." Hazel said sadness hitting her eyes. The trio broke from their hug, but Mags pulled Dakota. 

"What?" Dakota panicked. Mags pointed at Finnick, trying to say, 'you did this because you love him...'. Dakota slightly blushed and nodded her head, agreeing with the little old woman in front of her. Dakota turned a slight pink and turned to get a glimpse of Finnick. He was sitting by the window again and watching them past District 1, getting closer to the Capitol. Just as Dakota turned back to Mags they entered a tunnel. Hazel let out a weird high-pitched noise, and tried to run, going to find a spot to observe the Capitol (most likely). Finnick then stood and walked over to Dakota and Mags, Dakota's cheeks now back to her fair skin colour. 

"Time to put on a show..." Finnick whispered to the two ladies and placed a smirk on his face. Dakota nodded in agreement as well as Mags. The three left to go find Hazel and get ready to enter the Capitol.

*

Dakota sighed, looking at the room the District 4 Victors have had to use before entering the games...and never coming out. Before Mags and Finnick could stop her, she ran to her room and locked the door. Dakota had always had her nightmares start off in the District 4 'Hotel' room. After that they would go to the games, having her observe all the death in it. She would stir in her sleep before the scene changed to the day she returned from the 70th Annual Hunger Games. She was released from her thought when she heard a knock at her door. 

"Go away, leave me alone. I don't want to be here." Dakota screamed, "I couldn't let Mags..." she whispered. She could hear a huff of breath before a calm voice. 

"Dakota, I want to speak to you. Hazel is wondering what's up and Mags needs to show us the other Tributes that will enter the Quarter Quill with us." Finnick tried to persuade Dakota but it wasn't until he said, 'Please, do it for your best friend,' that she opened the door. Finnick launched himself into Dakota hugging her tightly, without saying anything else they went to find Mags, with Dakota clutching her necklace from her dearest friend.