17

The group packed up their things and headed towards the Cornucopia. Dakota didn't know why but she went along anyway. They were currently running across the dividers when she spoke up.

"Finnick," Dakota called, he looked to her. "you remember that night when we first saw the tree hit by lightning and you said it could be for midnight?" she questioned. 

"Yeah, but what's that got to do with-" 

"Well you were right." Dakota sighed smiling to herself. "This entire arena is laid out like a clock, hence the dividers." Dakota pointed to the ground. "It has a new treat every hour and they seem to only stay in their part. It starts with the lightning at 12, blood rain at 1, fog at 2, monkeys at 3." 

"What about everything else?" Peeta questioned. 

"I don't know." Dakota replied, "Although, at 10 that massive wave hits and wipes out anything and everything in its path." She finished. Dakota heard Finnick call Wiress a genius as the group reached the Cornucopia. Katniss then came up to the side. "The tail points at 12." She pointed out. Dakota nodded at her. "So that's where the lightning strikes the tree, every time the 'clock' reaches noon and midnight." Finnick concluded with a nod in reply from Dakota. Finnick gave her a smile at her realisation of the arena and Dakota faintly blushed and dropped her head. The small tension was broke as Beetee spoke. 

"Where?" 

"That big tree." Katniss pointed again. Beetee then looked at the tree and started to do whatever he was thinking of doing. Dakota then felt a hand on her shoulder. 

"You're doing really well..." Finnick's voice filled Dakota's ears as he had dropped his head to her ear. Dakota turned to face Finnick as Katniss, Peeta and Johanna talked about what they have found out about the arena. 

"What do you mean by that?" I questioned as he hand slid down her shoulder. 

"You're doing an amazing job at leading." He smiled. Dakota shook her head. 

"I'm not leading anyone." 

"Well, your leading me." Dakota smiled and her stomach seemed to do a backflip in his kind words. Over the small time Dakota had been in the arena she cherished small moments with Finnick, for they could very well be her last. A sudden scream was heard and Dakota looked over Finnick to see, Dakota screamed. 

"NOO!" Gloss had Wiress in his one arm while the other had a dagger covered in blood. An arrow flew past but Gloss cut it before it could do anything. The cannon fired as Wiress bled, a thin line across her neck. Dakota didn't hesitate to tackle Gloss, battle cries from the other members of the Career Pack blending with Johanna and Finnick in the background. Before Dakota got near water she heard Finnick scream out her name. She fought with Gloss as he smirked to himself. He threw a fist, she dogged and smacked his leg. "I will not let you take anyone else from me!" Dakota screamed, kicking Gloss into the water. Before Dakota could walk away as Gloss fell, he grabbed her ankle and pulled her under too. The two went at each other like elephant seals fighting for leadership. Gloss was able to get out followed quickly by Dakota. As he stood out of the water, Dakota jumped on him and tried to hold on tight but he pulled her over his shoulder and slammed her back on the divider. Gloss quickly placed his hands on Dakota's throat tightening his grip. Dakota felt her eyes go red as she had pressure growing stronger on her neck. Dakota heard Finnick scream her name as Gloss looked at her with a look of death. "Now I can get rid of the daughter of Charles. You know, I was his comrade, but he betrayed me!" Gloss yelled tears forming in his eyes, 

"He killed my girlfriend to save his neck and get back to his famous daughter, well...I can finish his family be killing you!" Dakota was desperate and started tugging at his hands as she felt her eyes droop. A gasp was heard and Gloss' hands loosened. Dakota opened her eyes, winded to see Gloss with a trident sticking out of his chest. He fell into the water as a cannon fired in the background. Dakota looked back to Finnick to see him lowering his hand, a slight smile forming and falling on his face. Dakota got up shakily and looked to Finnick, shocked. She started to run to him, ready to scream and thank him but wanting to rip him to bits for not getting vengeance. As she stepped foot on the Cornucopia it started to spin and Dakota was thrown into the water, not able to have prepared and lost her breath.

*

Finnick watched Dakota fall into the water as he grabbed a trident. He held on for dear life but still concerned for Dakota's survival, she had been flung off before she had time to recognise what was going on. He watched as Johanna tried to save Katniss and fail, he watched as Cashmere's dead body rolled off and splashed into the water. He also ducked as weapons flew around. Once the Cornucopia settled and the water calmed, Finnick didn't hesitate to jump straight into the water. He heard coughing from Katniss but nothing from Dakota. He found her after swimming quiet deep, faint bubbles escaping her mouth. Finnick quickly grabbed her hand, holding tight. He could help but fear the worst. Dakota was the only good thing in his life...he couldn't risk losing her. As he pulled her up he grabbed her waist and if the water wasn't so cold, he would have blushed. Finnick gasped deeply as he reached the service with an unconscious Dakota. Everyone rushed to the pair and pulled Dakota up, laying her flat. Johanna bent over her as Peeta helped Finnick get out for the water and her face dropped slightly as her fingers rested against Dakota's neck. Finnick looked to her as he knelled on all fours panting, his eyes full of fear. Johanna looked back, not knowing what to do and she looked to Katniss. Finnick looked to her too and she shook her head. Finnick yelled out, mad. He should have told Dakota to stay where she was. He could deal with it and crawled over to Dakota, he wouldn't believe it. He picked up her head and rested it in his lap as everyone watched him from behind. Johanna had never seen her friend so broken over something before and she felt tears peck her eyes. Finnick brushed hair out of her face and closed his eyes. Come back to me Dakota, let me see your eyes again, he thought. Suddenly Peeta came and kneeled next to Finick. He seemed to want to try and bring her back. Finnick let Dakota's head fall back and let Peeta do his thing. As soon as he got back to Johanna and the two just locked in an embrace, a loud gargling gasp was heard and Finnick shot his head around to see Dakota alive and ok.