Chapter Fourteen

Now that the shock of finding out I'm pregnant is kind of wearing off, I realise I have to tell my parents sooner rather than later. I don't have a clue how to tell them or what they're going to say. I hope that they'll support me but there's a good chance it'll just make everything more tense and strained than things already are. 

I shouted for mum and dad, asked them to come to the livingroom and sit down, I needed to speak to them. Luckily they were both home so I could get this over with nice and quickly, or so I hoped. 

"Okay, uh. I've got some news." I started.

"Gem? What's wrong?" Mum said, clutching dad's hand and looking worried. 

"I'm pregnant."  - I just came right out with it, no going back now. 

"Oh. Okay. Right, so..."

Mum looked at dad and they both just sat there, not really knowing what to say. I'm not surprised they're shocked, I was too. 

"Gem, how did this even happen? Who's the father?" Dad asked. 

This is going to really make things awkward. 

"Uh, It's Danny. Tom's bandmate. You know, the dark haired, blue eyed one. You've met him before a few times." 

 Silence filled the room. 

"Look, I know it's a problem, it's a huge mistake but it's happened and I've got to take responsibility for my actions here." I continued.

"Have you told him?" Mum asked. "Or are you even planning on telling him? He needs to know sooner rather than later."

"Mum, I don't think I want to... He has the band to focus on, a baby would really mess than up. Plus, I don't even know if he would care." I felt my eyes tearing  up. Pregnancy has made me so emotional lately. 

Telling my parents about the news wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was expecting swearing, shouting, crying, walking out, but none of that happened. It's not telling my parents that I was worried about though, it's telling Tom and Danny that I'm worried about. 

I know I'll have to tell them eventually, but I'll wait until they're back from tour. I'll have to hide the little bump I have so far if Tom does skype me, but I don't think he'll be focused enough to notice. They're leaving tomorrow so I've got three months to figure things out and get some baby stuff together. I'll be about 6 months when they get back, and by that point I won't be able to hide it any longer. God I'm scared.

I'll have to just suck it up and go see them to say goodbye and good luck for when they perform, hopefully nothing looks to different with  a long baggy sweatshirt covering my stomach. 

Shit, wait. I've got a midwife appointment tomorrow. Will I even make it to see the boys? It's a home visit so luckily I don't have to go anywhere, I just hope Tom doesn't come over. Then again, maybe it's better if I go into the office to see her, I need a scan and that can't exactly be done at home. It feels so weird to be thinking about baby stuff, I don't feel like me at all anymore. Christ, I'll be a mum by the end of this year. Wow. 

I always thought I was smart enough to not get pregnant by accident, but it just goes to show that one night of passion can result in something unexpected. I should have known better. Why the hell would I sleep with someone I'm not dating? I dunno if I should even be with Danny, not that I have that choice right now. Just because I'm carrying his kid doesn't mean he's gonna drop everything and be with me. 

I'm sure I could be a single mother if I had no other choice, it's not like I could just abandon my kid. I just hope I get the support I'll desperately need from my friends and family over the next 6 months. It's the only way I'll be able to cope.