regret

Thomas' P.O.V

 As I walk out of my house, I look into the Livingroom to see an empty couch with a glass table next to it. On the table is a half drunk bottle of wine. She must have left it there before she left. Not like she cares to throw her trash away.

   I walk over to the couch and retrieve the bottle, making sure to not look at it too much. I throw it away and begin my journey to Alex's house.

I wish she could throw herself away

As I pull up the apartment building, I see Alex walk out the building, making eye contact with me. I look away quickly and keep my eyes on the road. I find a tiny parking spot on the other side on the road. I step out of my car and walk to the other side of the road, when Im confronted by the man himself in the middle of the street, "You could have just waited for me in your apartment, ya know?" 

"I know."

He gives me a look of doubt, like he's remembering everything that's ever happened between us.

He gestures me to follow him as he turns around and heads for the building. I follow behind him, giving him some space just incase he stops.

We walk into an elevator, where no words were being said, and to his apartment.

"John went to go out with the Schuylers, so I decided that tonight would be good enough to get some work done." 

 He sighs as he opens the door to a pretty neat apartment. To the left, is a tiny kitchen with a island and two chairs, and in front of you is the living room, with two couches and a pretty big T.V.

I was about to ask how he can afford all of this stuff, but I'm interrupted by him lugging his bag of stuff over the counter and sitting at on the of chairs. I decide to join him and pull out my computer, "Why don't you send me what you have so far?" I ask.

He gives me a look that tells me not to bother. I decide to drop the question and get to working on my own papers. I've been writing about the fact that we have a soulmate and how the Government should tell us who our soulmate is instead of letting us find out. I don't think it's fair. They tell us that you'll known when someone's your soulmate. So why don't I? Should I know who my soulmate is just by instinct? 

Sometimes I think that I don't have a soulmate, and I'm just suppose to be alone. My mother always taught be that the soulmate system was a bunch of balogoney and that soulmates aren't real. I think she just says that because her relationship with my Dad didn't work out so well. 

 My thoughts are interrupted by Alex's furious typing. I stare at the man helplessly trying to find the words to say in his head. Trying to find a passion on his keyboard. Typing like he's running out of time.

"Alex."

No response.

"Alex."

Still nothing.

"Alexander!"

His stare to his keyboard goes away and immediately goes to my eyes, "If you can't see, I'm trying to get these papers done, so unless you want this business to go broke, shut up."

He gaze goes back to the keyboard quickly as he goes back to his furious typing tantrum.

"Alex please, you're going crazy." 

He slowly moves his gaze to go back to mine. I search his eyes for something. Anything. Any sign that somewhere in them,  Alex is still there. 

The Alex that smiled. The one that laughed at every joke. The one that was happy.