Part 12

Characters: reader, James (Bucky), Margaret (oc), Caleb (oc), Kevin (oc)

Summary: As a single mom with a jerk of an ex-husband, you're doing your best to run the family business all on your own when your mother hires a mysterious man with a troubled past to help out. He just might be what you need in your life, but will his secrets bring you together or tear you apart? (Events occur shortly after Captain America: The Winter Soldier)

Warnings: Oof. Here comes some angst and then more fluff!! heh. 

Word Count: 5.7K

A/N: Holy crap, you guys. Stuff is happening. What do you think Kevin really knows?? How will they get out of this jam? I'm really excited to hear your thoughts!! One more final chapter after this. I can't believe it! Please let me know what you think I appreciate any and all feedback! Thank you for reading! <3

____________________________________

"Your boyfriend stole the identity of a dead man," Kevin said with an evil grin.

No.

This couldn't be happening. Hugging your jacket closer, you inhaled a shuddering breath and finally met his eye.

"W-what? That's impossible, how—"

"I don't know how," your ex interrupted again, throwing his hands out in a shrug, "but he did. And I'm gonna find out every dirty detail about whoever he really is and why he decided to impersonate a World War II hero named..." He paused, glancing at a text on his phone. "James Buchanan Barnes."

Officially trembling from the cold and shock of these discoveries, you couldn't do anything but shake your head in disbelief.

Kevin shoved a finger in your face and spoke defiantly. "Don't you shake your head at me, you know this is true. You've been harboring a fugitive and now it's all crumbling down around you. Don't be stupid, Y/N. If you give him a heads up to run, how much do you wanna bet that we'll still find evidence of him in your house? Just...convince him to come in tomorrow and maybe you'll get to see Caleb sometimes. Can't say much about the stables, I don't know if folks will want a criminal housing their animals," he mocked with a shrug as he finally stepped backwards toward his car. "9am tomorrow or things will get ugly for you, Y/N. You think he really cares about you? Why don't you ask him?"

You were numb. No words filtered through your brain enough to make it to your mouth.

"Tomorrow," Kevin repeated as he wrenched the door open and turned your way before slipping inside.

The engine cranked and headlights blinded you before the taillights faded all the way to the main road. Eventually, you thawed enough to stumble up the porch steps and into the house, eyes frantically searching. Movement at the top of the stairs caught your gaze as James stalked with purpose toward your bedroom, even ignoring your calls.

"James?" you shouted, running up the stairs toward him. "James!"

Once you reached your room, he had already pulled out a small duffle bag and stuffed his meager possessions inside, then heading for the bathroom.

"James, stop! Please," you pleaded, grasping his arm and he finally paused. "Please don't—" you began with a sob, uncertain what to even ask.

He turned and wrapped his arms around you as the tears fell. James just held you, the steady beat of his heart calming you until your sobs had subsided. You should have known. It was all too good to be true, having this wonderful, sweet, loving man in your life. Underneath that, you had held the worry of the small things that told you in your gut that something was coming. Something terrible to balance out the amazing. The universe just couldn't let you be happy.