the one where joe is afraid of the dark/ F

"joe, i'm going to bed. are you coming?" ben turned towards the couch. joe looked up at him and gave a nervous smile, there had been a power outage that night due to a huge storm in the area.

"yeah, can you help me up?" ben grabbed his hand and hoisted him off the couch. when ben tried to pull his hand away joe just held on tighter. the blonde glanced at him, eyebrow raised. ben pulled him up the stairs and into their bedroom. having already been in their pajamas all day they had no need to change and got right into bed.

when ben separated their hands to get into the bed, he heard joe's breath hitch in his throat. again, thinking nothing of it, he opened the blankets welcoming joe in.  joe jumped, literally jumped, into the bed. ben let out a slight giggle and pulled joe towards him. joe shuffled closer, planting his face on the taller man's chest.

ben put his arm around him and buried his face in the gingers hair. joe grabbed ben's shirt, pulling him as close as he could, still very tense. ben frowned at the stiffness of joe's body, he had never been like this before.

"hey, are you okay?" he asked in a soft voice. joe nodded, not saying anything and burying his face deeper into ben's chest. the blond grabbed him by the shoulders, pushing him back slightly to look at his face. only, he couldn't see it very well in the dark. joe whimpered and clung onto ben's shirt.

ben furrowed his brows at this, "hey, what's up." joe was frantically glancing around the room, as if he was looking for something. and that's when it hit him, they would always fall asleep with the tv on per joe's request.

"are you afraid of the dark?" joe slightly looked down in embarrassment, nodding slightly. "yeah, i'm sorry i'm like a little kid. it's annoyed everyone i've dated before, i wouldn't be surprised if it annoys you as well." ben chuckled in response. joe looked up, confused. "why would it annoy me? it's something you're scared of, we're all scared of something. it's jus' part of who you are." joe frowned at ben's words.

"you're not afraid of anything." joe stated. "yeah! i'm afraid of a lot of things." ben shot back. joe slightly smiled. "okay then, tell me."

"i'm afraid of spiders, that speaks for itself. i'm afraid of bridges when i'm in a car. i'm afraid of the ocean, you never know what's in there. i'm absolutely terrified of losing you." joe smiled at the last one. ben leaned in, giving him a peck on the lips. "we're all afraid of something."

ben's smile slightly faltered, "i don't know what we can do about a light for tonight, but if you feel better holding on to me for dear life, then i'm all for it. is there anything else i can do to make you feel more comfortable?" ben asked. joe found one of ben's hands under the sheets and grabbed it then sat up to look over his shoulder. "can i sleep on your side of the bed tonight? it's closest to the wall and i'm just so not okay with the situation, if you don't want to it's okay but-" ben cut him off by grabbing him on the waist and turning them over. joe let out a slight yelp because of the sudden movement, but soon settled when he realized where he was. "whoa, i've never been in your side of the bed before. it's so weird." he said giggling slightly. ben smiled at him and pulled him closer. "thank you." joe whispered into his chest, he was now a lot more relaxed then before. ben replied with a kiss to his head. "i love you." he said. "i love you too."

joe drifted off to a peaceful sleep, with the help of ben's hands drawing shapes on his back.

again! i don't think this is a "real oneshot book" it's just little things i'll write down from time to time when i get ideas.

{edit: 5-15-20 this was borderline unsalvageable, its so disgustingly cute i almost vomited reading it.}