Chapter 8

It was two pots of tea for Granger and Tracey, and a good part of a bottle of whiskey - not the fire shit from last night - for me before we got the whole story.

I learned that the house that Tracey and Blaise were in at school was called Slytherin, their emblem was a snake, and their colors were silver and green. That is what was the foundation for the Silver Serpents. Only former Slytherins could be members of the Silver Serpents; and if you marry outside the house, your spouse was not to know of the dealings within the Serpents. From the sounds of the hierarchy, it sounded strangely familiar to some of the mafia families that seem to run a good part of the non-wizarding shadows of Los Angeles. I can't tell you which came first - the mafia or the Serpents - because they both can trace their lines for decades and both seem to intermingle and inter-marry for power and resources. And both seem to be on the sketchier side of the law, hanging in on the gray to dark sides a majority of the time. Both seem to be either in the pockets of politicians, or in politics proper. They both seem to have vast financial backing from questionable methods.

And now one of those questionable methods seems to be me.

This Snape person, who was the head of the Slytherin house when Blaise and Tracey were in school, now runs a tight ship when it comes to the organization. He doesn't allow for failure claiming that this last war caused a great setback for the Slytherins in general and it is up to the Serpents to regain power, authority, and financial wealth they are due.

Tracey also told Granger and I of the main hangout of the Silver Serpents: the Black Mermaid in Playa del Rey. I had never heard of the place specifically, and she had never been. It is for members only. There is gambling and drinking, pro skirts taking men for everything they have, all the normal depravity that come with organized crime.

Yeah, that is what the Serpents are - the wizarding world's organized crime. It just hit me that Blaise was involved with organized crime. He was a copper, a good one too. He was supposed to be on the right side of the law. And this whole time he was playing us - playing me. He played both sides of the coin. He worked me over, while trying to keep the goons off my trail and me off theirs.

At this point I look into my glass, that glass that has been the one constant in my life since I learned the truth about myself and my late partner. I don't know who to trust beyond this glass, beyond the liquid that numbs my brain.

But her - I can trust her. She is leading me to the truth, as painful as it is. Nothing she has said has been wrong so far. Granger. I can trust Granger. I don't know if I could trust her when it comes to a street fight - the dame is not much more than a curvy little kitten - but yes, I trust her.

Tracey says that Blaise would have to check in at 'the Mermaid' at least once a week once we were partnered together, so that he knew where to avoid due to Serpents business and so they knew what his progress was with me. Seems to me that he was more interested in getting me in the folds of the Serpents than having me off'd.

He asked me to be Ian's godfather, but more than that he wanted to see me with Granger.

Granger. It always comes back to her. She is chinning it up with Tracey about who knows, probably Ian. All I can do is watch and wonder why me? Yes she is a piece, a fine piece. If I am honest with myself, I could be swayed just by the curve of her hips. Right now I need to be professional though. For Blaise. Blaise who thought we belonged together. Blaise who called me 'her husband'. Blaise who tried to manipulate us together through Ian, and still is from the grave as we try and figure out the reasoning for his untimely death.

"Blaise mentioned that Crabbe and Goyle were out the last time he visited the Mermaid," Tracey states and Granger gasps at this.

"Who are Crabbe and Goyle?" I ask, finally bringing myself back into the conversation.

"They are known to be the Serpents droppers," Granger says still in shock. "They are wanted by the British Ministry for many deaths. If they are ever captured, they would not be thrown into Azkaban, rather they would received the kiss. Which is actually worse than death," Granger explains in a voice much smaller than her own. "They are vicious, ruthless, precise, and never miss their target. If Crabbe and Goyle were here, there is a good chance that the Serpents did in Blaise."