Heats & Ruts

Heats

A heat is the time when the Omega is most fertile and ready to mate. Some choose to have partners to help during their heats; others hide in their nests without a mate until their heat is over. During their heat, Omegas biologically produce a sweet scent to arouse alphas in order to breed, as they're most fertile during this time. This 'heat' scent is typically the Omega's amplified natural scent, though their slick can produce an intoxicating scent as well. It's extremely important that if the Omega is unmated, that they have some form of protection during their heat since they are unable to protect themselves due to their hormone imbalance, which can physically and/or mentally impair them for a time. Some buildings have heat rooms for this particular situation, where the Omega is protected and safe from other people. Heats occur a few times a year, generally once in fall and once in spring, though if the omega is under significant mental or physical stress they will often skip one or more heats.

Nests

Most Omegas will build a nest in a secure room to provide comfort for themselves and their partner(s). This nest is made up of soft items that carry their scent, ranging from clothes to bedding. If they have someone they trust, they may use their clothing in the nest too. Omegas are typically very sensitve to scent when they're in their nest, as it's their safe spot, so foreign or unfamiliar scents can make them feel easily threatened when inside. If their nest is invaded with an unfamiliar scent or even a stranger, it's probable they'll develop trust issues and feel unsafe in their own home. It's their partner's job to protect the nest when their omega is inside of it.

Ruts

Alphas experience ruts the same way that Omegas experience heats, but instead of submitting, they feel the need to dominate. If they don't have a partner, they'll do the same thing an Omega does; lock themselves in a safe area until rut is over. Unlike Omegas, Alphas do not produce an alluring scent when in rut. In fact, it's typically invasive/threatening to smell an Alpha in rut. Due to this, most individuals will start clear of them. Alphas in rut are much more dangerous than usual due to territorial instincts. If they feel threatened, or smell an unfamiliar scent, they'll feel a strong urge to attack. If there is an Omega nearby, they may feel the need to protect them from harm (even if there is none). Other Alphas may try to mate with the Omega due to their strong hormones, whether forcefully or not.