Scents

Scents

When in non-sexual situations, omega and beta scents tend to be calming; omega scents almost as a sedative, and beta scents in a more passive manner. Alphas can infuse their scent with a command that weakly compels omegas, and to a lesser extent, betas, to obey them. This is significantly more effective when used upon distressed omegas or omegas in/nearing their heats. When applied to other alphas, it generally invokes hostility, sometimes leading to violence.

Mating

When a mating bite occurs, the omega’s bonding gland, which is located on their neck, releases a spike of oxytocin into the omega’s blood, triggering release of vasopressin in the alpha. Omegas will also produce a chemical compound in the presence of other alphas when pair-bonded, warning the other alphas off and making them smell “claimed”.

Presence of the alpha during the omega’s heat is required to maintain a mating bond; if the alpha is absent and the omega suffers an unsuppressed heat, with or without another partner, the pheromonal bond will fade away and the omega will no longer smell claimed. Other alphas will likely make advances.

Scenting

Pheromones are produced mainly by scent glands on the wrists, neck, cheeks, and, for omegas, genitals. In claiming a mate, alphas will generally rub their face and hands on the face and neck of their chosen omega, as an additional warning to other alphas that this omega is claimed. Omegas scent mark their alphas as well, though this tends to be more subtle; usually they accomplish this through less specific physical contact, such as hugging or cuddling.

However, not all scent marking is necessarily sexual. Families and good friends tend to scent mark each other as well, but as the pheromone production incited by the presence of family and platonic friends is entirely different from that incited by the presence of a potential or claimed mate, the scent transferred differs greatly from that transferred by scent marking from a mate.