Pregnancy

Omegas, beta females, and occasionally alpha females can become pregnant. Pregnancy generally lasts close to 40 weeks. In alpha-omega pairs, multiple births are significantly more common.

Hostility

When pregnant, omegas self-isolate and become very hostile toward everyone but close family and their mate. If approached by a stranger, they will sometimes attack, and if they are in the presence of their mate they will generally cling to and hide behind them, snarling at the potential threat.

Alphas also become very protective of pregnant omegas whom they know, especially their mates, and also become hostile toward strangers and anyone who approaches too quickly or comes too close.

This is a leading cause of violence among alphas and omegas, as mated pairs will generally attack together, though the omega usually lets the alpha do the majority of the fighting. This is a residual instinct from when alphas who desired an omega who was already mated would sometimes wait for the omega to give birth and then kill the baby, claiming the omega for their own. The most violent of alphas would then proceed to eat the child.

This is now extremely rare and highly illegal, but the protective instinct is preserved. Because of this, omegas with children whose alpha has died almost never re-mate until the child is an adult, if at all, despite the fact that the undeniable evidence of their fertility makes them highly desirable. They will, however, sometimes form romantic or sexual unions with betas or other omegas, although these unions are not legally recognized.

Alpha Females

Alpha females have narrower hips than beta females and omegas (omega females tend to have very wide hips), so they are more likely to require a Caesarian section than beta and omega females are. In fact, more than 50% of alpha female births are by C-section.

Omega Males

Omega male hips tend to be slightly narrower than beta females', but during pregnancy the pelvic opening widens as the ligaments of the sacroiliac joint loosen significantly, much more than for beta or omega females. Male omegas keep the wider hips after their first pregnancy.

Lactation

Male omegas do lactate, but only during and shortly after pregnancy. Their breasts do not remain enlarged as females' do, and are generally small even when lactation occurs. Beta and omega females lactate as well, and retain the fatty tissue in their breasts. Alpha females never lactate; their breasts are composed entirely of fatty tissue, containing no actual milk-producing glandular tissue, and are generally small, comparable to the size of omega males' breasts during late pregnancy; most female alphas and pregnant male omegas have AA or A-cup breasts. Omega females have larger breasts, tending toward C to DD-cups. Beta females are average at B or C-cups.