Chapter 14

3rd POV~

The Three Hunters are still chasing after the Uruk-hai.

It is dawn.

Legolas Pauses and looks up.

"A red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night," Legolas sighed.

Over the rock and plains, alternating between the band of Uruk-Hai and the Three Hunters giving chase.

The trackers hear the sound of horses. Aragorn and the other two hide behind some boulders.

A large group of horse-men appears, galloping quickly with their banners flying.

Aragorn comes out of hiding as they pass, followed by Legolas and Gimli.

"Riders of Rohan, what news from the Mark?" Aragon asks.

At a signal from Éomer at the lead,
the riders make a quick turn and head towards them, surrounding them in ever-tightening circles.

As they stop, they point their long spears menacingly at them.

"What business does an Elf, a man and a Dwarf have in the Riddermark? Speak quickly!" Éomer commanded.

"Give me your name, Horsemaster, and I shall give you mine," Gimli grumbled.

Éomer hands his staff to another rider, and gets off his horse nearing Gimli.

Aragon puts a hand on Gimli's shoulder.

"I would cut off your head, Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground," Éomer mocked.

As fast as lightning Legolas had an arrow loaded and pointed at Éomer's head.

"You would die before your stroke fell," Legolas growled.

The spears intensify around the three of them.

After a moment of deadly silence Aragon lowers Legolas' arm.

"I am Aragon, son of Arathon. This is Gimli, son of Glóin and Legolas of the Woodland realm. We are friends of Rohan and of Théoden, your king," Aragon introduced everyone.

"Théoden no longer recognizes friend from foe," Éomer takes off helmet. "Not even his own kin,"

The spears withdraw.

"Saruman has poisoned the mind of the king and claimed lordship over these lands. My company are those loyal to Rohan. And for that, we are banished. The White Wizard is cunning. He walks here and there, they say, as an old man, hooded and cloaked. And everywhere his spies slip past our nets," Éomer sighed shaking his head.

"We are not spies. We are party of Uruk-Hai westward across the plain. They've taken three of our friends captive," Aragon assured him.

"The Uruks are destroyed. We slaughtered them during the night," Éomer pointed out.

"But there were two hobbits and a human girl. Did you see two hobbits with them? Or perhaps a female?" Gimli asked full of hope.

"They would be small – only children to your eyes and the girl... She's just different I suppose," Aragon tried to put out a description.