11.

The wind swayed the trees, making soft whooshing sounds through the branches. The camp was on edge from the lack of communication of the people who went on the run.

   Nicole and Amy continued to chat as they neared the edge of the camp. Amy spotted another mushroom and bent down to pick it up when a voice cracked through the trees -- scaring them half to death.

   "Y'all better be getting back to camp," Shane announced as he appeared from the trees. "I'm sure y'all've been mucking around out here long enough."

   The two girls looked at each other and chuckled. "I'm sure we could muck around longer, Shane," Amy giggled, "ya know if you wanted to join us." She shot a subtle wink to Nicole and grabbed her hand to walk back into camp.

   Nicole glanced back to the man, who had a confused look on his face. Amy and Nicole were laughing on their way back in. "What's so funny, you two?" Dale questioned from the top of the RV.

   "Nothing, Dale," Nicole called out with a crack of her voice. Nicole glanced around for her daughter. When she spotted her, she separated from the other blonde girl and made her way over to Cheyanne.

   "What ya doin'?" Nicole cheerily asked as she childishly skipped over.

   "I'm drawing. Duh." Cheyanne gave her mother a huge grin, before proudly showing the drawing. It was just a pencil with small colored strokes that she'd started. "That's you," she pointed to the only woman in the drawing with a bat. "That's Mr. Daryl." She pointed to the man on the opposite side with a crossbow. "That's me." she pointed to the little girl in the middle.

   "Those are the monsters," she said, "you guys are protecting me from them." Cheyanne looked up giving her mother the biggest smile she could muster. "You guys always protect me."

   Nicole looked down to her little girl's brown eyes. "Always, sweetheart."

   Nicole looked back toward Amy, who gave the red bucket to Lori. Lori got up and made her way toward the forest.

   She wasn't stupid. Nicole knew what Lori and Shane did in the dark. It was all but written on their faces every time they were in the same vicinity. Nicole knew what Rick's death did to Lori -- hell, even to Shane. They needed comfort, which both of them gave each other.

   Nicole didn't necessarily agree with their methods, however. She didn't like how quickly Lori bounced to Shane, not even three months after her husband's supposed death. Nicole never said anything though. It wasn't her place too. All she wanted was for her best friend to be happy, and if Shane gave her that then who was she to try and stop her.

   Nicole stood up as Carl made his way over to them, immediately striking up a conversation with Cheyanne. With a shake of her head, Nicole walked over to the RV and climbed up on top. "Hey, Dale."

   The old man looked down to her with a kind smile, "Hey, Nicole." He slung his rifle over his shoulder, offering her a hand up. She graciously took it and heaved herself up. "What's on your mind?"

   Nicole stood there for a second, looking over as Dale peered through his binoculars. "I just wish all of this would hurry up and end," Nicole stated, "I want the military to come and fix this mess."

   "I hear ya. I'm sure that someone'll figure out how to cure this and we will be back in our own beds." He responded, looking to the younger girl.

   "I hope so. I hate that Cheyanne has to grow up in this," she paused as she picked at her dainty nails, "She's seen so much death. Way to much for a nine-year-old."