Two For A Ploy

"My dear boy. I am so relieved you are alright." She embraced him and he allowed her affection for a moment before pulling back.

"Who said I was alright. I am not alright. The Emperor goes too far." He huffed quietly so only they could hear.

"What is the matter, dear? What did you hurt?" She blustered as she checked his body.

"Gods, have they kept you in the dark too? Nay that is a relief, for you cannot feign innocence like that. Your friends have conspired against the Emperor and now I am to serve a lifelong sentence." He lamented their stupidity. If you were going to think such thoughts, you don't share them with an Emperor so strong in cunning.

"What do you mean son?" His father asked.

"I have the choice between lifelong service as the Empress' Personal Bodyguard, purified for her sanctity, or the utter destruction of our entire family." He told them. His mother seemed to be on the verge of a faint and his father actually managed a tear.

"You have no choice, then. Either our family is broken from pure lines and you are disgraced, or our family is gone forever. Either way we cannot survive this here in the capitol. You do your duty for us, and I will retire us to the country where we can have peace at least. Deal?" His father held out his hand solemnly and the General reluctantly took it.

"Protect them. I will do my best as bodyguard." He shook his hand and let his mother cry on his shoulder. His friends were upset and wanted to argue his choice, but they could not at the threat from the Emperor.

"My family has a secret elixir that is said to keep a man's strength after such things are done..." One of his closest friends, Rolf told him.

"Is that so? And how does a family come about such things?" He asked curiously. Rolf blushed and tried to make him laugh, even in this situation.

"Rumour has it that a former mistress got annoyed at her husband for putting his thing in everything, so cut his... well, made him stop having so many children. He decided he did not want to quit his other mistresses, so he had the elixir concocted to have his fun. A rather good side effect was that it made him keep his strength and avoid the usual sickness." He replied. The General sent him a grateful smile.

"Thank you friend. I would appreciate any help and support you all might afford me." He gulped, feeling his hours as a man with a future family were now numbered. It put a rather irrational panic in his breast. He had not thought to put down family roots until he was done playing with his sword, and now he rather regretted it.

Perhaps if he had put out some wild oats and had a bastard it would not have been so bad. But the truth was that he had not been interested. He had been perfectly content to save himself for his future mistress, one whom he would now never have. All because he was too good at his job, too likeable, and too blind to stop others from hoping for more for him.

He did not sleep at all that night. In the dawn's first light he rose and dressed in his finest clothes. He presented himself perfectly and bravely walked out to meet his fate. The women of the house lamented that the best of them would be wasted. The men shuddered and were grateful beyond measure for both his sacrifice and the fact it was not them.

"You have accepted then." The Emperor announced as he walked in.

"How do you know that, your majesty?" A minister asked curiously.

"If he were going to refuse, his house would be empty and he would not be standing before me." The Emperor replied slyly. The General nodded in understanding. Yet another test. He looked bitterly up at the man who could not let it go that he was better in all forms of manhood that people valued, but station.

"I am here, your majesty, and I accept your gift." He said clearly. A young guard made a move to come forward, and he looked at the man with such intensity that he shivered with fear.

"I will be happy to direct you, General." He bowed slightly in respect and the General motioned him to lead the way. It was with a heavy heart that many saw him pass. Such a shame such talent would have no possibility of being passed on. They passed through the palace to the entry into the inner palace.

There were a few guards there, watching with pity as he came in the door. The eunuch in charge was waiting with three others, who held the Imperial palace guard uniform that was made for him. It was beautifully embroidered with a black dragon across his back to signify his loyalty to the Emperor, and more elaborate than any before.

"If you will please take off your clothing and place your arms up on the slab." The Emperor's doctor directed him dispassionately. He grunted, removed his clothes and then stood there with his arms folded.

"If you think I am going to let you tie me down, you are dreaming doctor." He growled at the man as he stared expectantly. The doctor jolted in surprise.

"But..." He stuttered. The General cut him off with a shake of his head. The doctor sighed and walked forward. One of the eunuchs brought forward a wooden case. It was opened, and both men gulped at the shiny metal knives inside. The doctor placed one metal rod in the small brazier near them and ran a knife over the flames.

He was very nervous. He had not done this to one so large, or loose before. He was worried for his safety if the man lashed out at him. He took a calming breath and the whole room held their breath as he began the procedure. It was rather quickly done, as he was very experienced. When he stepped back, the room was in awe.

The General had not moved. Not an inch. Not a flinch. Some thought him to be a demon and vowed to never get on his bad side. His reputation amongst the eunuchs was set in stone. He was a formidable man not to be trifled with. Some of the Emperor's men though that he would mellow and be hardly a worry in the future. But he walked out of the room on his own two feet.