Ten For A Bird You Must Not Miss

The Crown Prince had worked hard, and it was not to no avail. The eyes that were supposed to see, saw it all. The ears that were supposed to be told it, heard all. The man who was frozen, leapt up in sudden joy. The Emperor let a devious grin cross his face and was sure to pass along the disastrous information to those who would hate to hear it most.

What he did not realise was that his words would be only seen as a petty and jealous man's lies. They would be seen as smoke and shadow rather than truth. So when he moved to strike at the son he despised, it would not be the pure son who would be blamed... but him.

So it happens that when the Emperor comes to visit his son, he does so with a bottle of poison tucked in his robes. The General is well aware of this, and before even a drop of it should pass his beloved's lips, he doses his beloved Mi'er with the antidote. Then he poisons all the dishes before them with the same tincture.

No matter which bite the two shall eat, they shall take in the deadly herbs. With the antidote already in his stomach, the prince has the time to fight the herb even if it is not enough. The Emperor will not. It is only as the man sits there staring in anticipation at the boy, waiting for him to feel ill from it, that it even occurs to him that the child is too calm.

"You. Why are you not ill?" He suddenly says. The Crown Prince looks at him serenely and smiles.

"Hmm? Why would I be ill, Imperial Father?" He asks in a teasing voice. His handsome face tilts to the side to regard him mischievously. The Emperor is sweating and he wonders that it suddenly feels rather hot. Is it nerves?

"You should... I put... How are you not..." He stutters and clutches the table as he stares at the beautiful child sitting at the table watching him coldly. How did he sire such loveliness? She must have betrayed him. He would see the boy stripped of his title and thrown from the palace.

"What is the matter, Imperial Father? Are you having trouble?" The boy drawled with a languid raise of his hand to the Emperor's forehead. The man tried to smack the hand away but could not seem to see straight.

"Quickly, call for... doctor..." He spluttered as he felt himself falling from his seat. He watches in shock as his old friend turned to enemy, General Daisuke, comes into the room and kisses his son gently. "You!"

"Me?" The General grinned with such malice that the Emperor was struck with fear.

"I knew it. You always wanted my throne." He growled helplessly.

"No. I never desired it. But after what you did to me... I didn't want you to have it either." The General turned his gaze to the beautiful prince standing serenely by his side.

"Oh dear. It seems you have accidentally poisoned yourself, Imperial Father. What ever shall I do?" The faint words and cold face swam above him as his chest burned from the insidious herbs that killed him. His last breath was a curse upon his own son, when it should have been upon himself.

The bells toll in the Temple for the dead Emperor despite his gruesome nature, but secretly many drink to the health of the new Emperor to now sit upon the throne. His mother, the Empress, does not follow her husband to his tomb with the excuse that her young son will need all the support she may afford him. The Generals all vow to stay by the boy's side and guide him in the future.

The ministers weep at their good fortune as the boy takes the throne instead of the ridiculous brothers who desired it. The only startling thing to come out of it all is that the General who was once a bodyguard to the family is taken along.

Was he an advisor? Was he a minister? No indeed. To their shock the General is not placed into either position by the Emperor's side. After the appropriate mourning period is over for the Emperor's father...

He marries one Kohai Daisuke, as his Imperial Prince Consort. The General sits next to him on the throne.

A/N -I hope you enjoyed this little tale... Stay tuned for more short stories like this in the future. Coming soon: Assassin in White