▪ Chapter Twenty-eight ▪

A boom rang out across the sky like thunder

A boom rang out across the sky like thunder. That couldn't be right, the last time I saw the sky, it was completely clear—not a cloud in sight.

I got my answer when a patch of sunlit sky became visible to me once again. One of the Infected—the closest one to me—collapsed, a hole through the side of its' head.

Another thunderous gunshot rang out and another corpse dropped. More followed, corpse after corpse after corpse, each one preceded by a gunshot. The Infected around me had slowed, some even coming to a complete halt just inches away from me.

Someone was shooting them, gunning them down one by one. Had they heard my cry for help? Or were they aiming for me?

I had no idea but I did know that I didn't want to stick around to find out. With some of the Infected distracted, I had the perfect opportunity to escape. Provided I could what with my busted leg, ankle or foot—whatever was causing the agonising shooting pain.

I managed to get back up as quietly and as stealthily as possible whilst still putting all my weight on my good leg. The dizziness hit me like a brick wall as I oriented myself upright, barely managing to keep my balance.

The blood dripping past my eye indicated the gash on my forehead that I hadn't even noticed until now. I gingerly reached my hand up to estimate the size, wincing as it made contact with the large swollen cut. It was bigger than I thought and had already grown to about the size of a golf ball. Just another imjury to add to my ever-growing list.

Right now it was the least of my worries-what with the incoming horde and all. Half of them still seemed focused on my hobbled retreat, the other half distractedly searching for whoever was still shooting. They were growling, teeth snapping at thin air as they grew more frustrated with each echoing gunshot and the growing number of bodies falling down as the bullets flew.

I, myself, could hardly pinpoint the whereabouts of the shooter. The way the gunshots echoed and reverberated off the buildings made it almost impossible. I had given up searching when, the sun glinting off of something caught my eye.

The roof. Somebody was sniping down from the roof of the opposite building. Well, at least I knew which direction I wasn't going in.

I walked, well hobbled, towards the nearest corner, my train of thoughr being that if the shooter couldn't see me, then they couldn't kill me. Though, it also meant that any of the Infected that followed me, would also be out of range. I just hoped I could out-stumble them.

Normally, it wouldn't even be an issue. The Infected were so slow that a completely abled person would be able to out-run them easily. But with my leg, now both undead and human were evenly matched. Though I had a head-start.

I lost sight of them briefly as I turned the corner, leaning one hand against the wall for extra support. I was basically hopping at this point as even the slightest amount of pressure on my other leg was unbearable.