▪ Chapter Thirty-one ▪

I woke unwillingly to a stiff neck as well as a piercing headache

I woke unwillingly to a stiff neck as well as a piercing headache. My entire body felt sore and as I took in my cramped, position curled up against the side of the bed, I wasn't surprised. I was still recovering from my fall so I presumed it was to be expected though that didn't make me feel any better about it. 

My eyes scanned the room tiredly. There was no sign of whats-his-name—Sam even—which both unnerved me and settled my nerves. If he wasn't here, then where was he? Maybe he had changed his mind and left. Despite my decision last night, I can't say the idea didn't appeal to me. I was used to fending for myself—a real lone wolf. It was going to be hard to accept anything else.

What I did notice as I scanned the room was that Sam had made good on his promise. Whether he had left or not, he had returned all my things including my gun and my knives. It was sad that I had to resort to the use of weapons to feel secure, but that's how it was now.

I crawled my way over to Lily and Ace who had his head protectively over her, lifting it when I approached with a slight wag of his tail. I pushed away his slobbery kisses, ruffling the fur on the top of his head. "Hey, boy! I know. I missed you too." I really had. I owed this dog everything. I gave him a simple scratch behind the ear and pretty soon he was begging for more but I turned my attention to Lily. 

She was still unconscious, but I assured myself that it was normal. Sam himself said it would take some time and he seemed to know what he was doing. She did look more alive thankfully. The rosy colour returning to her cheeks had to be a good sign. I pressed my hand to her forehead, sighing in relief when it felt noticeably cooler than before. She looked better and my heart swelled with hope. 

I wasn't sure how long ago she had last eaten or drunk—my timeline being slightly messed up and all—but I knew it was probably too long ago. I grabbed the half-empty bottle of water that was left on the bedside table and pressed it to her lips, tilting her head up and encouraging her body to swallow.  

I gave her most of what was left, saving only the tiniest amount for my own parched mouth. I couldn't remember the last time I had a drink either. The remainder did nothing to quench my thirst and I did a mental inventory to try and remember whether this was all we had left. If this was it, which I had a terrible feeling about, we were surely screwed. Especially if Sam had decided to leave.

Reluctantly leaving Lily and with a holstered gun at my side, I hobbled towards the door. I was still unable to put anything but the tiniest pressure on my ankle. That made the stairs difficult but I just about managed to navigate them with the utmost care, avoiding breaking my neck. I feared I had used all my luck with my little building stunt and didn't much like my chances against the formidable staircase.

Just before I reached the bottom step, the smell hit me. Food. It was certainly a welcome difference to the awful stench of death and I found myself becoming more and more aware of the aching emptiness in my stomach. I missed the smell of food.