▪ Chapter Thirty ▪

I didn't leave Lily's side

I didn't leave Lily's side. I couldn't. What if she woke up and I wasn't there? Or worse, what if she didn't even wake up? I would never forgive myself.

Ace wouldn't budge either, from my side nor Lil's, easily assuming the role of guard dog. The dog refused to ease up on Leather Jacket over there as well. His watchful eyes were trained on the stranger and his growl thundered out if he attempted to move even the slightest bit towards us.

I didn't blame him. I felt exactly the same way about him. Sure, I was grateful toward him. He had saved me whether I liked to admit it or not. He may have even saved Lily. I could never repay that debt but I was still suspicious. Who knew what his motives were? For God's sake, I didn't even know his damn name.

That didn't mean I wanted to ask for it though. I mean, I was currently using him as collateral. Whatever happened to Lily happened to him too. Though it's not like the thought bothered him. He sat propped against the wall, elbows resting on his knees as we both waited for Lil to wake up. That is if she did.

It had been silent until I couldn't bear it any longer, "How long should this take?"

He shrugged, "As long as it needs."

"How do we know if it's even working though?" I was panicked, desperate for any sign of life. A sign that she would be okay. Patience was not a quality I possessed right now.

This time he seemed to acknowledge the fear that I knew he could see in my eyes. "It will work." He assured almost comfortingly, "If she's anything like you, she's plenty strong enough. Just give it some time."

My eyes narrowed though his words struck a spark of hope inside me. "What do you mean 'anything like me' ?"

He had the audacity to laugh at me. Laugh at me-the currently emotionally unstable, gun-wielding loon who had nothing to lose. "You jumped out of a fucking building. A twenty-foot high building and you survived! Or do you not remember?" His unreadable facade chipped away slightly as hints of disbelief bubbled to the surface.

"Well, it was either that or be eaten.", I shrugged. That particular decision didn't require much thought in my opinion. The right choice was clear as day.

He shook his head, his dark hair shaking with him. "Still, you-"

He was cut off as a gasp sounded.

Lily.

I was at her side, fussing over her immediately. Whats-his-name approached too and this time I allowed it. He obviously was more medically inclined than I was. Ace was too distracted licking Lily's hand to care, trying to heal her in his own little way.

He carried out what looked to be basic medical checks for her pulse, breathing and heart rate whilst I kept a distrustful grip on my handgun. Eventually, he sat back and leant against the bed, facing me.