10: What Would I Do Without My Phone?!!

I overslept the next day. Neel had already left for his sword fighting training.

It was seven forty five. Well that's pretty early for most people, who happen to be jobless and are sitting in the middle of the past, like me.

Having nothing else to do, I checked my phone for any notifications, but there were none just as I had expected.

I decided to try something, I knew it wasn't much and most probably wouldn't work. I video called Tvisha. I was astonished when the call connected and I heard the familiar ring of the phone.

A shiver ran down my spine. I couldn't believe my ears; I pinched my arm to check if I had imagined it. But it was actually happening.

School started at eight thirty so Tvisha would be in the dormitory right now. I waited. My heart leapt with joy when she finally picked up.

Tvisha was still wearing her pajamas- she must have woken up late as usual. It was my duty to wake her up every morning because I abhor the shrill ring of the alarm.

After seeing people dressed in traditional, heavily embroidered attire for two consecutive days, it was odd to see Tvisha in her pajamas. But it gave me a ray of hope that communication with the 21st century wasn't impossible. At least as long as my phone was charged, that is!

"Hey there TB!" Tvisha chirped. TB was the nickname she had given me because of my initials- and it had nothing to do with tuberculosis, mind you.

"Aren't you supposed to be in detention with Mr. Annoying right now?" she asked with a hint of pity on her chubby face.

Wait a second! Wasn't she worried that I had been missing for two entire days?! What kind of friend was she? And how could she joke about detention like that when I was trying to contact her to assure her of my well being? She was supposed to be hyperventilating with joy because I was alive right now!!

"Hi, umm...." I said, not knowing how to react.

Then it struck me. I asked with a sense of urgency, "Tvish, how long have I been gone?"

"Not long, about fifteen to twenty minutes. Why? By the way do you want to know who A is in Pretty Little Liars is?" She said with a glint in her eye.

So I had been right.

"Oh shut up!" I said, "Go check Miss Kurukshetra's office right now. Be quick, and don't ask any questions right now because I don't have any answers."

"Umm sure," she replied, "Wait a minute."

She hurried to Miss Kurukshetra's office and everything on the screen went into a tizzy.

"What's wrong Tara?" Tvisha asked worriedly, as she swung open the door of our history teacher's office just to find it empty. "Are you in some kind of trouble?"

I heaved a sigh. I didn't know how to explain this to her. I thought that the best way to break the news was to get to the point immediately.

"Would you believe me if I told that I time travelled and landed up in the past?" I asked in a tired voice.

"I don't know. Why?" she said.

"Come on, this serious. Just answer the question." I said.

"Maybe, don't tell me you time travelled. Oh my god! You did, didn't you?!" she said, as she realized what I had been trying to tell her.

She got her answer when I remained silent and made no effort to refute her claim.

Tvisha checked the office and informed me that it was empty. Our half done assignment lay abandoned on the desk. She positioned the phone so as to give me a full view of the office. Nothing looked out of place; everything was just as it had been when I first entered the office. There was absolutely no sign of the portal or any extraordinary event that might have occurred in the office.