ten | real life

' You tell me what you're talking about and you tell me now!' Emerson exclaimed as soon as Chris guiltily sat himself down in the seat opposite the feisty, bright-coloured red head.

The buzz and bustle of the cafe managed to tone down the height and anger rippling through her voice, and the influx of busy people on their way to work, too engulfed within their own world to notice them, meant that a little amount of people noticed them. Which meant that Emerson could reprimand Chris without fear of a fan seeing them.

'Tell me!' Emerson repeated earnestly, waiting for his begrudging answer.

'Look — Seb and Liz love you, you're like their best friend. And of course you love them.' Chris began, and the anticipation causing Emerson's knee to bump violently up and down intensified, and soon she was nearly flipping the table over with her knee. 'I also caught up with Brie the other day, she... she misses you — as a friend! You guys used to be so close, like besties, and then when you broke up it all faded. She's sad, like anyone would be — you're amazing Em.'

'Well, of course I miss Brie too. But it's... it's complicated, Chris. We dated, we loved each other, I trusted her with my darkest secrets as she did me, we promised each other forever and when that trust and promise was broken — well it was hard to get over. I can't just pretend that I didn't spent three months crying in my room over her, I can't pretend that I didn't give her my life and except all of her's in return. The pain she caused, whether intentional or not, can't just be washed away, Chris. I've got to stay away — she isn't looking for romance, and I... I can't trust myself around her.' Emerson rambled and Chris listened attentively.

'I understand, Em. I wouldn't jump at being any of my exes friend's either. But, it's not just about Brie.' Chris sighed, leaning foreword and resting his forehead in his palm. 'I know Aliana has been supporting you going out with someone new in order to get over Brie...'

'Really?' Emerson said, unsurprised. 'Jeez, a shock, truely.'

'But I know all of the dates she sets you up with are just small hook-ups, you know. A week fling or something, not serious. What if I... set you up with someone? A blind date — but trustworthy because, well, it's me. Who doesn't trust America's golden boy?' Chris offered, and Emerson stirred for a moment.

'I'm thinking — you are a lot more trustworthy than Aliana. I love the girl to death, but she kinda sucks at setting people up.' Emerson sighed, before furrowing her eyebrows. 'Who would it be?'

'That's kind of defeating the purpose of a blind date — but I was thinking... maybe, well I met this model called Cara and she's lovely. Funny, kind, sarcastic, very much your type.' Chris explained, and Emerson thought for a moment before sighing.

'Okay, fine. One date — but if it goes badly, we never speak of it and it never happens again.' Emerson responded sternly, but nothing could wipe the smug smile off of Chris' face.

'I'll let her know — but if this goes well, I expect to be the best man at your wedding.' Chris exclaimed, and Emerson rolled her eyes playfully.

'Fine, whatever. When is it?' Emerson inquired.

'Tomorrow, six o'clock work for you?' Chris asked, and Emerson nodded gently, a lock of hair falling out from behind her ear and in front of her face.

'Okay, now that we're done talking about my dating life, let's eat some food!'