twelve | real life

Emerson drummed her fingers nervously against the pine table at the Italian restaurant as she waited impatiently for her 'mystery' date to arrive. Women sauntered into the restaurant, but none seemed to be how Cara was described to her by Chris. She pushed her bright crimson hair out of her eyes and attempted to tuck it behind her ear for the fourth time that night, but it did nothing, her hair simply slipped back out again.

"Emerson, right?" A kind voice rang softly in her ear, and the girl turned slightly. "I'm Cara."

"Cara! Right, it's great to meet you!" Emerson exclaimed, a smile painted upon her face as she stood up and engulfed the girl in a hug. Cara hugged back tightly, her blonde hair falling onto Emerson's shoulder.

"It's nice to meet you, too." Cara giggled, taking a seat opposite Emerson.

She was kind, piercing eyes with a hint of softness, long, amber hair with dark roots which hinted at it being dyed. She was lean and slender, quite the 'model' build. She already seemed kind within moments of meeting her, and her beauty had already seemed to hypnotise Emerson.

"So, food?" Cara inquired, and Emerson nodded readily.

"Of course! I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse at this point." Emerson chuckled, and Cara laughed along with her.

"So, you're a Marvel actress! I love Marvel movies, so when Chris told me I was quite star struck." Cara confessed, and Emerson feigned shock.

"Star struck! Please, you're a model, and you're beautiful —," Emerson was quick to bite her tongue, while Cara paused, keeping Emerson worried that she might find laugh at her. But Cara simply smiled, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear and feebly responding.

"You're beautiful too."

The pair sat in comfortable silence for a moment longer, before the easy conversation started again and flowed back and fourth without hesitation nor uneasiness. Cara was funny, and made Emerson laugh until her stomach began to ache with pain. While Emerson provided her dry wit, humour and sarcastic comments which delighted Cara.

Their similarities helped conversation ease, but small differences sparked discussions which held their interests for long periods of time, while the food was wolfed down by the pair.

"So, I heard that you're working on a new movie." Cara remarked, and Emerson nodded slightly.

"Yes, I can't say much because — of course — I can't spoil it. But yes, it's delightful, I can work with everyone finally, and we're all one happy family!" Emerson exclaimed, and Cara smiled.

"Yes! I'm excited to see it, Infinity War broke my heart — are you sure you can't spoil anything?" Cara giggled, and Emerson simply shook her head while popping another piece of pasta into her mouth.

"Hmm.... maybe I can tell you one thing."

Cara nodded her head vigorously; "Please!"

"Well — Tony ends up marrying both Steve and Bucky and they have a beautiful polyamorous relationship, and then adopt Peter as their child." Emerson lied, and Cara's eyes widened with excitement, before dying out once realising that she was joking.

"Don't play with my heart like that, that's all I wish!" Cara groaned, and Emerson laughed.

"Well, I don't really know much — it's as secretive as Game of Thrones at this point." Emerson smiled, and Cara smiled too.

"Well..."

"Well."

"I should get going." Cara remarked, standing up along with Emerson.

"Yeah, me too. I've got to get an early night — filming tomorrow and all that." Emerson smiled, and Cara nodded.

"Well — call me." Cara responded, as they walked out of the restaurant.

"Of course. It was a lovely night, Cara, and it was great meeting you." Emerson smiled.

"Great meeting you too! And a great night as well."

The pair paused for a moment, lingering before Cara brushed her hand against Emerson's arm and learn down, towering over the red headed girl. The both paused for a moment, before Emerson leaned up, their lips barely brushing, before finally they met.

But for some reason, to Emerson, it felt wrong.