humor • 5

humor (n.): the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.

A tavern was filled with the sound of laughter as two figures passed by, shrouded in the night. The sound of hooves hitting rocky ground pounded through the cheers as they urged their steeds to go faster, reaching breakneck speeds.

The horses went on with the knowledge that they would be feasting on carrots and apples tonight. The riders went on with the knowledge that people were counting on them to rid their fair kingdom of evil.

One figure, wearing a green stocking hat and tunic of the Kokiri tribes, groaned as his sore behind hit the saddle roughly, sending another wave of dull pain throughout his body. The other, shrouded in a cowl and the Sheikah emblem, took notice and slowed their mount down considerably, falling behind a bit as their companion failed to take notice for a few seconds.

They trotted through, the Kokiri-garbed man driving his horse a bit closer to the Sheikah. Within talking distance, he cleared his throat, gaining the attention of his friend. Opening his mouth to speak, he found he was at a loss for words. "Uh..."

He cleared his throat once more, getting an idea for conversation. Sheik waited patiently as he opened and closed his mouth like a fish out of water. "Ahem... Knock, knock?"

Unbeknownst to the joker, the woman beside him smirked a bit. She knew where this was headed. "Who's there?"

"Banana."

"Banana who?"

"Banana."

She frowned. "That's not a very good joke, Link." He pouted. "That's because you're supposed to keep going! Banana."

"Oh. Banana who?"

"Banana."

"Banana who, Link?"

"Banana!"

She sighed. "Banana who?" She furrowed her eyebrows and muttered to herself, "This is awfully repetitive."

"Orange."

"Banana who— Wait. What?"

He laughed. "Orange you glad I didn't say banana again?!"

She stared for a minute, then put her hand over her cowl (where her mouth would be) as she dissolved into a giggling mess, snorting rather unattractively. "Pfft, hahaha! Link— I can't— pfft!"

He grinned, pumping his fist with a feeling of accomplishment. He had gotten the stoic Sheik to laugh! And this much, too!

She calmed herself, taking deep breaths. The horses went over a particularly rocky patch of road. "Okay, okay. Knock, knock?"

He grinned in childlike eagerness. "Who's there?"

She grinned. "Cow says."

He scratched his head in comical confusion. "Cow says who?"

She grinned wider. "No, a cow says moo!"

Link clutched his sides at the joke, laughing heartily as he leaned forward into Epona's mane. Epona snorted, throwing her head back as she felt the added pressure.

He forced his mirth into a grin, breathing heavily. "Hoookay.. Knock, knock?"

She almost kicked out her legs in anticipation. "Who's there?"

"Hatch."

"Hatch who?"

"Bless you!" It took her a minute, but when she got it she slapped his shoulder, chuckling. The horses looked at each other in exasperation, moving closer to each other so their riders were practically touching. The mares knew it was painstakingly obvious their riders like each other- to all except their riders.