View

summary: They both had a larger view of the world, no longer kept inside stone walls and the bark of trees.
universe: Canonical
date: 04/11/19

As Link pondered the crackling fire and starry night sky before him, the hills of green rolling on to his left and gurgling stream slithering past him to his right, he found it funny how, for the first time, he realized how large the world was compared to his little cottage in the Kokiri Forest.

He rested his weight on his arms, leaning back onto his hands and staring up at the dark blue space above him. His hat slid off his head, revealing a blond head with a small ponytail at the back, previously hidden within the folds of the fallen garment. He sighed, and breathed in the cool night air.

Link couldn't help but think of Sheik, and chuckled at the irony that only a few weeks ago (or, rather, 7 years, but to him it was way shorter than that), he didn't even know she existed. And only a few days ago, he didn't even know that "he" was a she. Now she was the only thing on his mind, flittering around the dark edges of his thoughts much like she did in the real world.

Much like she did now, walking towards him from across the dying fire, dim embers lighting her crimson eyes eerily. She folded her legs under herself next to the Hylian boy, and turned her head to look at him. "Are you okay?" She clenched her fist slightly, but didn't dare to look away from his face.

He blinked, confused, and nodded. "Yeah, why?" He idly shifted closer to her, desiring warmth on the chilly night. The fire was now nothing but smoke drifting up into the sky, black almost invisible against the navy.

"You've been staring at the sky for an hour, now."

He blinked. "Oh." He scratched his arm, gauntlets cast aside in favor of a more comfortable night. "Sorry."

She smiled, eyes crinkling up at the corners. "There's nothing to apologize for, hero, but make sure not to make that mistake in battle."

He chuckled, daring to imagine what would happen if a Lizalfos caught him staring at the sky instead of Sheik. "I will." But then a thought crossed his mind, and he decided to speak of the thoughts semi-pleasantly following him everywhere he went. "Hey, Sheik?"

She glanced back at him, having been trying to rekindle the fire, knees pressed up against her chest, wrapped with one arm. "Yes?"

He looked up at the sky again, then turned to her. "The world is so big."

She blinked, clearly not expecting that. "W-Well, yes, hero, that's why we use horses and such."

He shook his head. "No, but I mean, ever since leaving the Kokiri Forest, I realized just how big it is. Not just the land, but I've experienced so many new things and emotions and- and- gah!"

Red eyes stared at him in a new light. Never before had she thought him this insightful, and she found herself agreeing with him. He glanced at her just as she nodded her head in agreement, not able to find any words. He smiled.

They were more similar than they realized, and not only did they see the world in a new view, but each other as well.