Chapter 9

"I, Falconstar, leader of FoxClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and i commend them to you as a warrior in their turn." Falconstar started the warrior ceremony, "Mothpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your clan, even at the cost of your life?"

        Mothpaw's voice was shaking with pride as the blue-eyed tom mewed, "I do."

      "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Mothpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Mothmask. StarClan honors your generosity and courage, and we welcome you as a full warrior of FoxClan."

      All of the clan cats yowled with glee at the new warrior, including Cedarpaw, though she thought that Mothmask isn't too kind.

       "I also have one more announcement," the leader continued, "This kittypet, Ra, wants to join us. Will you, all of FoxClan, accept her as one of our own?"

       Cedarpaw stiffened as she saw how much muttering it caused, then Mothmask spoke, "I would be willing to give the kittypet a chance."

       Cedarpaw relaxed as she saw that the majority of the small clan accepted Ra. Cedarpaw looked back towrds the medicine den to see Ra looking at the clan in obvious delight, and beckoned her over with a flick of her tail.

       "What do I do?" Ra asked nervously.

       "It's simple. Once she calls out your mentor, you have to walk over to them and touch noses."

        "Ra, can you join me near the Lowledge?" Falconstar called.

       Ra's fur spiked a little when she heard her name, and fearfully padded near the Lowledge.

        "From this day forward, until she earns her warrior name, this apprentice will be called Whitepaw. Blizzardwhisker, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Lionriver, and you have shown yourself to be loyal and honest. You will be the mentor of Whitepaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Whitepaw."

        Blizzardwhisker flicked his tail to beckon her over and touched noses. Ra- no, Whitepaw's- excitement seemed to diminish a little bit under her new mentor's glare, but that didn't stop her from looking proud as the rest of her new clanmates called out her name. Cedarpaw's being the loudest out of them all.

         As the clan gathered to share tongues and go out on hunting patrols, Whitepaw padded off toward the medicine den, probably to tell Flamepaw all about the ceremony.

      "Well, Cedarpaw," a voice said out of nowhere, "What do you think about Whitepaw?"

      Glancing back to see whom it was, Cedarpaw answered, "I think... I think that she'll do well as an apprentice."

       Dawnpaw, for that's who it was, nodded.

       In reality, though, she didn't think that Whitepaw would last a week in any Clan.