Chapter 10

Whitepaw was ecstatic when she became an apprentice. She could only imagine all of the great things that she would do when she became a warrior. First things first though, she wanted to learn how to fight.
     "Are we going to learn how to fight first?" Whitepaw asked, bouncing up and down like a kit after the ceremony.
     "First," Blizzardwhisker mewed in an annoyed voice, "you will learn how to collect moss."
     Her excitement diminished a bit, yet Whitepaw was ready to leave and learn more about this Clan and their lore, including StarClan.
     A little bit later, Whitepaw and her mentor padded out of the camp and looked for some good spots to gather moss.
      "The best moss to find is near trees or water," Blizzardwhisker droned as they went past many fine places of moss, "Moss is softer when closer to water, but is wetter so you probably won't come here often unless you have all the time in the world..."
       Whitepaw just nodded, not paying too much attention and instead looked at the sunny, clear blue sky, looking for StarClan warriors though it was still the middle of the day.
       "Whitepaw, did you hear me?"
     Whitepaw jumped as she realized that they had stopped and that the shaded reddish brown tom had asked her a question.                                                  "I'm sorry Blizzardwhisker," Whitepaw mewed apologetically bowing her head,
      "What was your question again?"
         The tom gave her a nasty look, then sighed and asked the question again with a bit more menace in his voice. Whitepaw answered correctly on the first try, to the tom's annoyance, and asked her to claw the moss. She studied it, thinking that it was some sort of test that she had to complete and swiped at it cutting deep into it. What she got was a large piece of moss the was filled with dirt, bark, and leaves.               "No!" Blizzardwhisker yowled with fur bushed up, scaring the new apprentice. "That is not how you do it!"             
   "Then how do I do it sir?" Whitepaw mewed quietly, "I did what you wanted me to do, what did I not do right?"
    The rough tom begrudgingly taught the white-tipped she-cat how to swipe at the moss until they got a good pawful or two of clean, dry moss.
 "Good." Blizzardwhisker nodded, "Now, I want you to take all of this moss back to the camp and I will go check the border." Blizzardwhisker got a bit closer as he mewed dangerously, "Don't you dare follow me."                            Nodding, Whitepaw did as he asked and never bothered with checking on him though it took him all day, and by that time, the leader called out the cats going to the gathering.
      "The cats coming to the gathering are Sedgeleaf, Fallowtail, Cedarpaw, Mothmask, Mothheart, Flamepaw, Blizzardwhisker, and Whitepaw."
       Unlike most apprentices, Whitepaw did not look overly excited when her name was called instead, she looked quite the opposite, confused and fearful. She kept asking herself if she could do it, if she could be proud and show the other clans that, though she's a kittypet, she is a strong and loyal warrior.
         "You okay, Whitepaw?" Flamepaw asked her friend. Whitepaw just looked up and nodded.
                   *~*~*~*~*

           The night came and it was scary. The group came to a fallen tree and actually expected her to walk across it! She waited until she was the second to last cat left to cross. The only other one left behind was Blizzardwhisker, and she wasn't happy that he was the one behind her.
            "Go on up." Blizzardwhisker said gruffly, "I'll be behind you if you fall."
              The bark felt wet and slick to touch when she carefully moved across the tree with unsheathed claws and a wildly lashing tail, terrified. When she looked down, the night sky reflected off of the water seemed to perfectly match the sky above and Whitepaw felt herself calm down and move a bit faster to the edge of the gathering island.
                "Hmmph. Typical." A cat grunted as she landed. Whitepaw looked to where the cat's voice came from and paused in wonder. He was a beautiful black tom, not much older than Whitepaw, with white speckles and blind eyes? Whitepaw looked a bit closer at the tom and saw that he really was blind, and smelly.
             "Hello." The tom mewed, not unkindly, "My name is Peter, though I'm hoping that CedarClan would take me in again." At that last part, the tom looked away, though for what reason, Whitepaw didn't know.
              "Hello. Nice to meet you too. My name is Whitepaw."
              "And if you don't mind, Whitepaw, I would like to see the gathering."
               Whitepaw jumped and felt her ears burning as she moved over to let Blizzardwhisker on to the island.
               "Do you want to join me, Whitepaw?" Peter asked. The brown eyed she-cat nodded and walked next to the tom, fur just barely touching the other, as they padded into the surrounding brush and emerged into the most beautiful clearing that she has ever seen.

    A/N
   Ha ha! A cliffhanger! I might continue this, though I'm also thinking about just stopping it altogether so I can purely focus only my two other books. What do you think? Also, of I do continue this, should I make the next chapter showing Whitepaw, or should I do the sisters next?
      -Alex out